Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 550 Cougar.

Runs great after it's warmed up and ridden a bit, but from start-up until riding, it will not idle without flipping the choke on and off over and over again. But after you fight through the warm up and spin around the yard, it will idle fine all day long and runs strong. Clean carbs isn't the problem.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
7,968 Posts
Sounds like your mixture screws need a little adjustment. If I remember right, they are the ones on the right side of the carbs and at a slight angle. Just make sure they have the same amount of turns out. Then give each one an extra 1/4 turn out and give that a try. ( I believe this makes the low end richer) which should help on cold engines. If it makes it worse, then go in a 1/4 turn at a time. If you dont get any change while adjusting these screws, take them out and spray a good carb cleaner into the holes and then re-insert the screws.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wicked King @ Jan 17 2007, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
95 550 Cougar.

Runs great after it's warmed up and ridden a bit, but from start-up until riding, it will not idle without flipping the choke on and off over and over again. But after you fight through the warm up and spin around the yard, it will idle fine all day long and runs strong. Clean carbs isn't the problem.

Any ideas?[/b]
I've got a 93 580 that I have owned since new and it has done this from day 1. Idles like crap until it gets warmed up.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wicked King @ Jan 17 2007, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
95 550 Cougar.

Any ideas?[/b]
If you have to choke it to keep it running on cold idle, that would seem to indicate a lean condition. You should make sure the carbs in sync, the chokes are properly set and functioning and that air screws are set to factory setting. Start at the factory setting and adjust from there. It might be necessary to change the pilot jets if adjusting the air screws do not fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Anyone know the factory settings off hand?

·
Registered
564 Posts
The manuel I have on my sled includes sleds from 1990-1998.
It says for a cougar, prowler 2-up is, Pilot air screw turns out- 1 at 1500-2000 rpm.

I am not sure if its the same but thats just what mine says.

Mainly thats for a regualr cougar and a prowler 2-up. I imagine its the same for any cougar that was made that year, unless there was only one...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Jan 17 2007, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It says for a cougar, prowler 2-up is, Pilot air screw turns out- 1 at 1500-2000 rpm.

Mainly thats for a regualr cougar and a prowler 2-up. I imagine its the same for any cougar that was made that year, unless there was only one...[/b]
Thanks for the info.

I was playing with it bit right away when I bought it, and have the air screws at about 1.25 turns. I'll reset everything and give it another try, but I'm starting to think I may just have a sled like KevinS.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wicked King @ Jan 17 2007, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Jan 17 2007, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mainly thats for a regualr cougar and a prowler 2-up. I imagine its the same for any cougar that was made that year, unless there was only one...[/b]
Thanks for the info.

I was playing with it bit right away when I bought it, and have the air screws at about 1.25 turns. I'll reset everything and give it another try, but I'm starting to think I may just have a sled like KevinS.
[/b][/quote]

I complained about it to the dealer when it was new. He did look at it but it was the same. Back then I didn't know much about sleds. I've just lived with it because I rarely ride it was just an annoyance. It is the wifes sled now. I'll probably take a look this year now that I am more familiar with carb tuning after having rebuilt my ZRT.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi,
I've got a 96 Cougar 550. Same thing since new. It's a pig to keep running cold, gotta baby it. Once warm, she purrs like the kitty she is. Stock jetting. I've never messed with it. That things been wide open across many a lake in all kinds of temps and she still runs strong with over 5300 miles on it. Just my experience for you. Normal in my mind.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a 96 cougar 550 as well it is a pain is the butt when warming up like this guy above said but I do just wait a little while let it get good and warm and then it runs great all day long. I just alwyas have thought in my mind it was just what the sled did. Mine too is the stock jetting so....... I don't know what to tell you about it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoney67 @ Jan 18 2007, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi,
I've got a 96 Cougar 550. Same thing since new. It's a pig to keep running cold, gotta baby it. Once warm, she purrs like the kitty she is. Stock jetting. I've never messed with it. That things been wide open across many a lake in all kinds of temps and she still runs strong with over 5300 miles on it. Just my experience for you. Normal in my mind.[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (96ac550 @ Jan 18 2007, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a 96 cougar 550 as well it is a pain is the butt when warming up like this guy above said but I do just wait a little while let it get good and warm and then it runs great all day long. I just alwyas have thought in my mind it was just what the sled did. Mine too is the stock jetting so....... I don't know what to tell you about it.[/b]
Thanks for the replies. I brought it in tha garage and started playing with the air screws. As it sat, it was only a half turn out from fully seated. But when I went to a full turn out, it ran like crap. I ended up with 5/8 turn out... that's where it ran the best, but still needed some choke tending. Now I'm starting to second guess the choke settings, but the thing runs so nice when it's warm, I'm guessing its probably just a cold blooded bastard.

Besides... now I noticed the hand/ thumb warmers aren't working for some reason. I need to fix that first because the Wicked Queen hates cold hands!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts