Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for a good gearing setup for my 2001 Thundercat Mountain Cat 1000. I am running 10T drivers. I also would like a setup for the bearcat clutches for radar runs. I've read 23/40 would be good for the stock clutches and 25/39 for the bearcat clutches.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
I had a bear cat secondary (not both) and got rid of it. Had to change center to center of clutching and buy another size belt. Never could make any notable difference so I went back to original clutches. You likely will be hard pressed to find info that is worth a damn on that with the 10 tooth drivers. Not much out there if you do a google search and half the guys you can't believe anyway, and because it works on theirs does not mean it will work on yours. Yes,....it will be in the ball park. To be more clear, if you listen to them, or the guys on FB, you will be the one spending your money on stuff that does not work. I would stick to the stock clutches and go from there. The theory believe it or not is to NOT reach full shift out on the primary with a bear cat set up while the belt is lower in the sheave for a lower ratio and let the taller gearing pull the sled through the curve while the clutch has the leverage to do so. Most guys run the 9 tooth drivers and not the 10's so info is even harder to come by. Not saying it can't be done, but I will say, it can't be done affordably unless you find a guy willing to say exactly what he had with the 10 tooth drivers. Here is some of my clutching stuff I have, so I do know what I am talking about. I can guess I likely have over a dozen primary springs and half that in secondary springs not to mention a box full of weights and helixs. Just sayin' is all and trying to save you time, money, and aggravation.
I would stick to stock clutches, 24/39 gearing with 10 tooth drivers and clutch accordingly with something around 66 gram weights and a 150/330 or 190/330 primary spring. I use D&D springs for my own reasons even though they don't seem to last as long as others. You will also need something like a 57/46 or so helix and lots of experimentation with springs, and use nothing lighter than a Cat red/wht secondary spring. This will be in the ball park and I am assuming you are almost stock engine with stock pipes which you have not stated.
I am sure someone out there won't like this recommendation,... so have at it guys. To each there own I guess. That's why its hard to get good clutch recommendations without a lot of arguing. Nough said.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate it. Braeden Hager gave me his setup. He runs 10t and bearcat clutches. I'll start with 24/39 and stock clutches and find the best clutching from there. I have a bunch of springs I just really need to find some good helixes. I'm running d&d trail pipes with stingers and power reeds in the stock cages with spacers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I realized I don't have 24/39. I have 23/40 so I'll throw that in for now. Should hit 120mph still. I also have 2 sets of 25/38.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
If he gave you his set up, it likely has a higher rpm because I think, (Not sure) he runs pipes on his sleds. Try it and see what happens. You have stock engine and stock pipes I assume? If so, you are around 165hp. May not pull his set up is all. Only one way to find out. lol.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
OK, I missed that in post #4. I would try the 23/40's and see what you get for rpms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts