Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all. Just kind curious here, if anybody owns one of the turbo model sleds. I am wondering how they are for power, mileage and most importantly, their ride. I am about ready to give up on older/ used and I am thinking about new for next winter. I know there is no comparison, but if my 85 eltigre 6000 is anywheres close to the ride of a new one, then I am half way sold. But I cannot find any reveiws on line and I would like to know if one of these is really any good, as far as the t660 is concerned and how well it will handle non trail rides... like ditches, powerder snow etc. Anything not groomed that is.

In non turbo form, that engine rates at only 53 hp, and doubles with the turbo. SO am just wondering if the reliability is there, etc and is it worth the money for one in the long run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Superjuice,
We own a 2004 T660 non turbo and like the ride and proformance. However, my major complaint is my right foot getting cold on long rides. Seems the Artic Cat people didn't think it was important to get heat from the engine down to the right side where your foot is. There is a very large air scoop on the right front hood that lets cold air blow into the engine compartment. It really blows in and down to your right foot area. When I called and talked to one of their engineers regarding my problem she stated, "snowmobiles are not designed to keep your feet warm. That you need to wear a good pair of snowmobile boots. I explained we've been snowmobiling for many years and owned many snowmobiles and this was the first machine I owned that my "foot" got cold. Anotherwards, to bad. I wrote a letter to Artic Cat Marketing about my problem and they didn't reply. We've given up! I'm looking at getting a pair of those electric foot warmers (Hot Shots) you plug into your electrical system.
Like I said, the ride and performance of this maching is excellent. Plenty fast for us and the milage is great. Keep in mind the curb weight of the T660 is over 700 pounds. So your not going to get out of a deep snow drift if you get stuck, unless you have plenty of help or AAA service. One last comment, there is no pull cord on the machine. That is a first for us too. Make sure battery and starter are in good condition before going out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a ’06 660st and I really like it. I traded my ’97 580 EFI (and 6 grand) to get a smooth running, low maintenance machine (no oil, or changing plugs). I like the electric start, reverse, the smooth power band (low end torque), and the fact that it smells so nice. I will pass other machines on the trail and wonder what that nasty smell is…..oh, yes, now I remember. The T660 is a heavy sled, and your steer it more like a boat than a slot car, the mileage is great if you don’t run it flat out all the time. Acceleration and top speed are quite sufficient, and it is very quiet (you can hear the suspension working and sneak up on deer). I moded the headlights so all 4 work on high beam, and added a black magic torque bar to keep the engine from twisting on hard acceleration. I think 4 strokes are the way to go, and if you are an Artic Cat fan and can’t wait a few years to iron out the bugs in the Jaguar, the t660 is definitely the way to go!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have the solo, I have the two-up Turbo Touring LE(2006) and I only have 220 miles on it from her maiden voyage 10 days ago. I traded my 1999 Ski Doo Grand Touring 800 Triple two-up and so far I'm quite impressed. The Cat has better low end snap, a better clutch, and as good as or better ride then the air adjustable suspension the ski doo had. The beauty of the four stroker is the quietness of the engine as you can hear the suspension work and the skis sliding on the surface and hear other machines that come up behind you with your full face helmet on. And the best part of all...Your clothes don't stink like they do when you're riding a 2 stroke. After driving a Cadilac grade sled with adjustable backrest before I couldn't settle for anything less. I love this sled so far.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have both a two up and the ST and love them both, do yourself a big favor and test ride one. This is not a ditch banger but it is an awsome ride. If you want to run with the boys get the ST it has a better shock setup and the handlebars like what's on the firecats. As far as reliability IT IS NOT AN ISSUE these things are bullet proof (dam just jynxed it), and the gas milage is ok depending on how much you are in the turbo.

here is my St, all I can tell you is I love it and I don't have any problems running with 600-700's on the trails.
the best way I can desribe the feal of the sled is it is as heavy as a tripple, the top end of a 600, and the torque of a 900 or better.
[attachment=62241:HPIM2218.JPG]
I have only done limited of trail riding and a mountain sled it is not, you better wear your funnel socks to catch the boys if you get it stuck if you know what I mean. The two up for trail riding is like driving a luxury sedan plush as can be, this happens to be the wifes sled because it.
hope this helps
Mr. Freeze

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the responses guys.. sounds like a really good trail sled, and quiet is a bonus. I was also looking at the polaris turbo sled, but hear there were losta problems with it last year and as well, i hear the heat from the turbo likes to melt the hood on them.

I will have to do some serious booing around i think. And some serious saveing ..lol....

Another sled that has caught my attention is the either the crossfire 1000 or the f 1000xlr. Don't really need that kinda power, but would be fun.

maybe talk nice to the banker and get both ( ya right ) lol.... :tongue_nana:

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wife and I each have a T660 turbo touring. Mine is a 2004 and her's is a 2005. She has about 6000 on hers and I have 9000 on mine. They ride extremely well and the handling is great. As to performance, the claimed HP is about 110. Their power band gives them great performance from about 20 MPH to 75 MPH. Above that they will slowly gain to about 85 MPH.
They get about 18 MPG and daily maintenance is to check the engine and chain case oil.
They start well in the cold temperatures until -28 F when they get "iffy". I simply carry a small set of jumper cables and have had no problems so far.
We are VERY happy with them.
We both rode 800s before getting the T660.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I too see myself getting a turbo soon for my wife, just can't decide on the solo or touring...we have two boys that I want to start taking up north with us next year. My wife had a Triple Touring before, so I figure the weight should be about the same. I met a lady at a dealership this week that had an '05 Turbo touring...I asked her how she liked and she said she loved it. I would like to put some miles on one before we purchase one though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I own a '05 Turbo Touring and I think the only way AC could improve this sled would be to add Diamond Drive. The sled has plenty of torque and I'm sure this is the weakest link. It's hard to get used to the lack of engine noise and hearing other noises that you've never heard before! Like ski tips hitting snow, skags bitting ice or track noise! The best part is that I can hear my cell phone ring and talk with speaker on with engine still running. I think all sleds should come with a 12v outlet. It just makes sense these days, so you can keep a phone charged or whatever. As far as deep snow goes, forget it, this thing will climb through any deep stuff as long as you keep the throttle pegged and are able to shift your weight to turn it in the deep stuff. I'd buy another one...kinda like the idea of a heated seat.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (03f5snopro @ Feb 14 2007, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If u want a true ditch banger 4-troke your gona have 2 get a Yamaha Nytro, the t-660 doesnt compare. Or get a sabercat or or fcat.[/b]
Nobody's talking about ditchbanging in this thread.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Actually if you want a more sporty sled that rides nice and gets great gas milage. Look at the 06 sabercat 500 EFI. It has much better shocks than the T660. It weighs a couple hundred punds less, is quick, and gets 12-14MPG. Its not exactly the quietist sled on the trail but it makes up for it in fun factor. It will do over 90mph with 85 hp. Plus it actually works good in the powder with the longer but narrower track and wide skis. Whats bad about the t660 is the ryd fx shocks, they are kind of a spongy ride and if you start hitting the bumps the ystart heating up and acting weird. I should know, we have panteras with ryd fx shocks, i really dont like them. The position sensotive shock on the sabercat stays cool and adjusts to wear you are sitting.

·
Registered
288 Posts
By the way, i would not get a firecat if you want a good ride, they are actually a very harsh ride and will not leave you happy at the end of the day if you expect a good ride. Plus the clutching is ver jerky on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts