Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy has a 2005 T660 Turbo Touring, changed the ACT secondary (it was junk) to the ZR roller with an 020 belt with a 57/50 and red white spring. The primary is stock. Its running the 19/39 reverse setup.

He gets about 80 mph tops. Any ideas for a little more top end? Not looking for a rocket here, just a bit more. What gears would be suggested for a little more?

PS whats really bugging him is his wife's Turbo T660 Touring walks him....LOL

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Are the clutches fully shifting out? I don't think gearing would be the cause of this since the old roller clutches were pretty much the same diameter as the stock clutch?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That I dont know for sure. I will see the sled this weekend and do the marker test. My buddy is like my wife when it comes to a description of things. You never know what they are really trying to describe until you are right there.

For instance, he calls all frantic, "bring your clutch tools over, the clutch is making a really weird noise, I think it's gonna go. I run over and ready to rip into it. Come to find out the noise was the turbo whine.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Poor you... lol! The stock cat secondary on the '05 is 10", in '06 they switched to a 10.4" clutch but no gearing change. Measure up the new roller and see what the OD is. It's also possible that he has the wrong belt on there too. But yes, the first order of business should be the marker test.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ill get it looked at. The ZR secondary was a used item, and a stop gap measure. It may be toast too. I need to ride the sled again and go from there. The sled did go pretty well the one time I rode it, but that was last year. He has a lot of miles on it now. He loves the sled and always gets 4-5 mpg better than me

I would like to find a nice ST660 for myself. These turbos look like a fun sled to mess with. I like my F1100 but that 660 is a sweet motor and I like to tinker a little.

Now that I think of it, the shaft maybe worn and needing a replacement, The ACT clutch was just a wobbling mess on the shaft. I think a ZR shaft should fit and get the roller secondary checked out and go that route. I did read somewhere that these develop a vibration caused by a worn jackshaft?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Ill get it looked at. The ZR secondary was a used item, and a stop gap measure. It may be toast too. I need to ride the sled again and go from there. The sled did go pretty well the one time I rode it, but that was last year. He has a lot of miles on it now. He loves the sled and always gets 4-5 mpg better than me

I would like to find a nice ST660 for myself. These turbos look like a fun sled to mess with. I like my F1100 but that 660 is a sweet motor and I like to tinker a little.

Now that I think of it, the shaft maybe worn and needing a replacement, The ACT clutch was just a wobbling mess on the shaft. I think a ZR shaft should fit and get the roller secondary checked out and go that route. I did read somewhere that these develop a vibration caused by a worn jackshaft?
The 660ST's are fun sleds on the trails. From a running start (say 20mph) not many things can catch them. They are pigs though so off trail you have to be a bit more careful. If you do find a 660 get one that's been well taken care of. They love to overheat and even a temp conscious rider can get one hot quick. Also do a compression test on the engine to make sure it's still good. You're looking for 180lbs.

My '05 has a worn clutch and shaft. I thought about installing a used shaft out of a '96 parts sled that I had and it's too short. Because the way the factory clutch is designed, it doesn't have much area that actually contacts the shaft causing some wear which causes vibrations. I'm not sure if a worn jackshaft would cause a top end issue. Clutch alignment is another thing to check along with engine compression.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info on the ST.

I rarely ride off trail so that shouldnt be a problem. Here in the St Paul Mpls area or for MN in general the 660 turbos hardly ever come up for sale...they occasional POS does though. But even those are rare. If I get one I may be PMing you for more info.

I did notice the shaft was different on the turbo and there wasnt much contact area. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Thanks for the info on the ST.

I rarely ride off trail so that shouldnt be a problem. Here in the St Paul Mpls area or for MN in general the 660 turbos hardly ever come up for sale...they occasional POS does though. But even those are rare. If I get one I may be PMing you for more info.

I did notice the shaft was different on the turbo and there wasnt much contact area. Thanks again for the info.
No problem, glad to help. I bought myself a lemon 660ST this winter and I'll be completely rebuilding it over the summer. Watch for a thread sometime soon where I will keep track of progress.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 slow

You may want to do several things that makes the 660 turbo very satisfying.
Install K&N air cleaner (then it breathes.
Install restrictor 1670-880 you won't find it in parts list. its a (cat secret) Illuminate the over temp issue.
23 or 24-39 gears (you'll have to change chain also).
Inner white spacer on secondary won't allow shift out--( that why you lack .625" on primary shift. Trim .220" off that spacer. Use oem Belt.
I have in excess of 14,000 miles on my 2006ST Turbo ST
with 136" Track USA Kitted the Ck engine light went last year when tookout drive shaft bearing. you will be able to ride with anyone after a little TLC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.