Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I know this has been discussed a few years ago but, I'm really interested in why Arctic Cat can't answer a simple question;
What took place of the Arctic Cat transmission fluid for the reverse chain case? There has been three different part numbers and now none can be found.
Part numbers:
4639-364
0636-817
5639-039

I see that several people here on the forum are using all kinds of different fluids for these chain cases. Makes it pretty hard to really pin point what's the best to use. I'm not complaining to you fellow members here. I know you're taking the ball that AC dropped. It's just too bad that AC hasn't addressed/recommended a replacement. Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Well you can use the 6639-538 Chain lube which I use in mine or the 6639-539 Synthetic Chain Lube in which both are the 15 ounce container. You won't use all of it in a T660.
If you type the 5639-039 number on Country Cat, the 6639-539 comes up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You'll get 15 different answers from 12 people on this topic. They all range from personal preference, proven methods, and dealer brainwashing.

That being said, I been using 12 oz of left over Mobil one 5w-30 from a 5 gallon jug after changing the oil for over 10 years.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well you can use the 6639-538 Chain lube which I use in mine or the 6639-539 Synthetic Chain Lube in which both are the 15 ounce container. You won't use all of it in a T660.
If you type the 5639-039 number on Country Cat, the 6639-539 comes up.
Thank you for the help....... very much appreciated. I would have to agree that you're using the correct chain case oil 6639-538. I know the discontinued part number was non-synthetic as well because I have the old 12oz. bottle. I would imagine the 6639-539 would be fine upon changing out the 6639-538. Thanks again. Ray :wink

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll get 15 different answers from 12 people on this topic. They all range from personal preference, proven methods, and dealer brainwashing.

That being said, I been using 12 oz of left over Mobil one 5w-30 from a 5 gallon jug after changing the oil for over 10 years.
Thanks for the help....... I totally agree with you. It appears that 660catman above is on track as far as AC oil. Thanks again, Ray :smile

·
Registered
10,401 Posts

And this is why I use Cat oils and lubes. No brainwashing here, just keeping my brain from overthinking all the suggestions and opinions lol.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Crazy Ray not that you got the wrong stuff, but just to give you an example, My old 69 and 70 panthers had a tin; "Ham-Can" chain case and they notoriously leaked. Back in the day and even the ones I restored I just shlobbered wheel bearing grease on the chain, it never mattered. I think in this case just about everyones right

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crazy Ray not that you got the wrong stuff, but just to give you an example, My old 69 and 70 panthers had a tin; "Ham-Can" chain case and they notoriously leaked. Back in the day and even the ones I restored I just shlobbered wheel bearing grease on the chain, it never mattered. I think in this case just about everyones right
I hear ya...... The main thing here is lubrication along with pickup of the oil keeping the chain well lubricated. I totally agree that different varieties of oil could be used for this chain case. In my case, I haven't had any leaking issues with my T660 using the AC thinner viscosity transmission oil. "Knock on wood...... LOL. Thanks for your input. Ray :wink

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
You know that i think of it, I even used 80/90w once , Like you said it's just so the chain gets "something". Heck look at bikes, what do they get?

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
“Bikes” have precision manufactured chains and sprockets (in the beginning)

Linkbelt* chains do not match up with the teeth on the sprockets as well as roller chains, thus cutting life dramatically. Not to mention, that on sleds such as regular chain cased Cats (prior to Procross series) the chain and sprockets did “double duty” (braking also, severely promoting rapid wear)

Now, that is a huge difference between the two different units, wouldn’t you think?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts