Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to the 4 stroke sleds here. I have noticed that I dont have a few gauges on my sled I bought Yesterday, that my car has. I am not a fan of "Idiot" lights at all, as when they come on, damage is being done. Since this is a Suzuki car motor in here, I plan to add the following gauges to my sled:

Water Temp
Boost
Wideband 02
Oil Pressure
Possibly debating a EGT Gauge too.

I have been able to find info on how to install everything but the oil pressure gauge. Has anyone on here installed one before on this motor that can give me any info on where to tap a sensor?

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Water Temp is a must as these can run hot, Boost I like having because I use it to try and save some fuel and stay out of boost, Wideband O2 is useless to me, the sleds computer does all the fuel adjustments, these sleds go 10,000 miles + if I start tinkering with the fuel injection it won't; Oil pressure is a good one I plan on that this summer, EGT unless you build engines for a living and your on a dyno thats where you can use them, otherwise most people don't even know what the temperatures mean. You can have excessive EGT rich or lean. The factory software kit for the fuel system with the plug in for a lap top is $802 bucks, too much for me. I wouldn't try messing with it. Water boost and oil are good.

Oil pressure I would tee into where the factory sensor is. The factory sensors, water & oil need to still be hooked up as the sleds computer still needs them.

Now all that being said, it's ok the have all that and watch it all, but some of it is a waste of time installing it and you only have so much dashbaord so it would require a few gauge pods. not to mention blowing even more money on it where you could put that to something else more useful on the sled.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I agree with what guudasitgets is saying. The only reason to get an O2 gauge would be if you're tuning the sled. I'm going to be starting my Water Temp Gauge install here shortly.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
this is what Hooper Race Engines says about EGT gauges

Any Engine: Please don't bother to ask us about your Exhaust Temperature Gauge.
We have not found any use for using such an instrument in tuning for performance. If the
engine is running and 1 pipe is iced over and 1 will cook hotdogs nicely... you've got a
problem

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a EGT Gauge on my ZR500, has proven useful for tuning before. However, I wanted it more for looks than anything. I dont plan to mod the motor/fuel trims/tuning, more for looks than anything. I like gadgets like that.

Ordered water temp, oil pressure, and boost tonight. Need to get one more, as I plan to mount 2 on each side of the factory dial.

Water Temp(Using gauge to control Radiator Fan Relay)
Auto Meter Sport-Comp II Pro-Control Analog Gauges 3654 - SummitRacing.com

Oil Pressure
Auto Meter Sport-Comp II Pro-Control Analog Gauges 3652 - SummitRacing.com

Vac/Boost
Auto Meter Sport-Comp II Analog Gauges 3607 - SummitRacing.com

Debating this Air Temp Gauge
Cyberdyne Gauges Digital Prism Gauges B224E461Y - SummitRacing.com

Thoughts/Input?

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Water temp I paid $54 for the ones that match my Cat gauges and the fog light relay ($5 bucks) works off the outlet, left side tank of the radiator as there is the sensor on that tank so you should control it off THAT temperature. When THAT side of the radiator is hot, that's when the fan should come on and when the radiator is done cooling that part of the coolant (coming out of the heat exchangers which has already cooled off some) then the fan has to trigger off. If your going to control it from the gauge your reading temp under the thermostat, which is far away from where the fan needs to be triggered from. Hence the reason for the fog light relay, remmember there is a temp sensor in the radiator. 179 bucks is too much for a temp gauge for me, especially when I can't use that for a fan control. Thats in there for a cars fan, not this application.

$228 bucks for an oil pressure gauge, I don't know what you would use different on that than what I got. I bought a two gauge set, all mechanical so I could steal the water temp gauge for my ZR (it has no electrics) and I'll use the oil pressure off of that set for the Turbo 660 all for $17.95
http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=sum-g2924&dds=1

so my grand total for all gauges is;
Water temp $54.95
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-5737
Boost $72.95
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-5803
Fog Light relay $4.99
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-h71004011
2 Gauge mechanical set oil & water $17.95
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2924

Total of $150.84 as apposed to $495.43, thats $344.59 more. Big difference considering those gauges you picked won't do anything different than what I have. That could buy you a brand new clutch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I hear what you are saying on the temp switch location for the cooling fan. Did you use a Kawasaki Connector on the temp sensor in the radiator? I have been unable to find that Connector. Found the Radiator, Fan, and Temp Switch.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I hear what you are saying on the temp switch location for the cooling fan. Did you use a Kawasaki Connector on the temp sensor in the radiator? I have been unable to find that Connector. Found the Radiator, Fan, and Temp Switch.
Don't worry about the connector for the temp sensor (thats the sensor that fires the fog light relay), just use two 1/8 inch female spade connectors

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys,

Pulled the sled out of storage today. Plan on installing that Radiator and have decided on my gauge setup. I ordered Autometer Phantom gauges. Water Temp, Boost, Oil Pressure, and Volts. Will have a dashboard just like a car.

Guudasitgets, Did you get a chance to install the oil pressure gauge you were talking about before? I plan on doing these next weekend, along with the radiator install.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts