Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys know what I want...0644-448 for replacing shims on my 660's.....I don't care what it costs as I believe in having the right tool for the job. I have 2 of these machines and I am in it for the long run so help a brotha out......

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
I borrowed the tools to do mine. I took photos and measurements to possibly get them made. There is an intake and an exhaust one but they are identical. I had another member on here needing his done too. I gave him one to check his and I used the other. With one tool it just takes twice as long to check shims in there to determine shims needed for proper clearance. Once that was done we had both sleds beside each other and actually used a shim or two from each sled for the other sled.
I had thought about approaching a dealer to buy the tool kit they use especially if they have not used it in years. You just never know. All they can say is no.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone has the ability to machine a copy of the tool for me I would gladly pay you for your expertise.......

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
There's two of them, intake and exhaust. they are like little pieces of angle stock with a bolt slot cut in them. If you had the time you could do it with a dremel tool and a hacksaw

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG

As I said although they are marked INT or EXH we could not see a difference and we used one to check all valve shims.

·
Administrator
35,850 Posts

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Are you looking for Cat’s designation or Suzuki’s? Suzuki is K6A. If you’re looking for shims I did find out they were same as a Suzuki DF40 outboard although many were listed as NLA. Shims are 2.18 mm all the way up to 3.00 mm in .02 increments.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I was trying to approach my search for the tool from a Suzuki engine designation. Is K6A the whole designation? Perhaps I can find one in Japan

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
I did find tool on a Suzuki outboard website but it was priced way out to lunch. I looked again just now and price not too bad. Browns point marine or Boats.net list them. Both in the USA. $170 to $223. Part number is 09916-69310

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just pulled the trigger on one. Is one all I need? Yes, it's a hose job but I believe in having the right tools for the job. THANKS! Even thought I just bought the new extra fancy Pantera 7000 xt ltd I still can't help but feel I am going to like my (2) t660's more and will probably end up selling the Pantera after trying it for one season.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
When I looked when I did my shims it was in the 400 dollar range. One is all you need. Cat had the pair as you did one exhaust and one intake, not on the same cylinder, at the same time. It will just take you twice as long doing one at a time. I made an excel spreadsheet to determine shims required based on shims already installed and required clearance. Had it convert thousands of an inch to millimetres.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's crazy money. As long as the shims stay available we'll be in good shape. Is AC still offering them? I know they are more expensive through AC but availability is king.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
I got mine from Cat in Suzuki bags. Cat still shows them as available.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
You’re welcome and hopefully we have an excellent sledding winter!

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Engine also came in Jacobsen Golf coarse lawn mowers, you can look up them there too for shims too.
Here ya go; http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/4171985.pdf?m=1297349603
On Cosworth Heads we used to buy a bunch of thick ones and surface grind them down to what we needed

And no the spring holders don't need to be high strength steel, just regular old angle iron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmmm.....Apparently these engines had a broad usage. Interesting. I used to have a Cosworth Vega.....who knew? I have heard of grinding them down as long as they were uniform thickness. Not a machinist so not an expert. It would take a novice fabricator a long time and a lot of effort to make these accurately. Not worth my effort.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts