Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was just recently a thread on AC Triple counterbalancer noises and problems.
I actually responded to it. Now I have the problem and can't find the thread.
My 96 T-cat 900 has had intermittant noise from the counterbalancer, I assume, since
I got it almost new (one year old and about 1000 miles on it.) This last weekend I rode
it 85 miles on Saturday and about 80 on Sunday, ending up with about 3600miles on the
sled. Late Saturday it sounded like my left ski was scraping concrete, but it wasn't. I
lifted the hood and it was making a lot of noise out of the left side of the engine. Sunday
morning when it was cold, the engine was quiet. After about 25 miles of riding it started making
noise again. There were some good responses in the previous thread about the counterbalancer
gear and the water pump leaking and causing problems with the balancer. There are
some known problems. Anyone know the details of what to look for and what to tear down
to inspect, without disassembling the whole engine if possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
You don't have to dissassemble the entire motor... Remove the engine from the sled, turn it upside down on the bench, and remove the lower crankcase half.

The bearing noise you hear might also be a crank bearing, so while you have it open the opportunity is there.

Change the waterpump parts while it's all apart too. Start fresh with all new pump & bearings.

:chug:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
pull your carbs and see if the oil lines are full and oil sitting in the around the oil tube....

BM...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the tips. I am working a 10 day stretch and won't be able to tear it down till
Thursday, March 2. Will check the oil leads before pulling engine. Going to do the upside down
and pull the bottom half of crankcase method, I think. The engine has never used as much oil
as I would consider normal, and the oil pump is synched correctly. There may be a problem there.
Or it may be that the sled has just sat for too long in my humid barn between runs. I'll post
what I find on teardown. Thanks again for the tips and ideas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled the engine today and put upside down on bench. Checked the oil lines first.
They were all attached and not kinked or blocked in any way. Got the stator cover
off OK, then the water pump, after putting a #3 phillips in a 1/2 inch socket
in my impact wrench. Why Phillips on a waterpump? Then attacked the plate surrounding
the PTO taper shaft. Stripped 3 out of 4 Phillips screws. Again, WHY PHILLIPS!?
Need to do some drilling and extracting now before splitting the case. Yes, used PB blaster
before impact wrench. To continue another day. Got too frustrated today.

Now I've got second thoughts about tearing it down. I ran it a little while before
teardown and it didn't make any bad noises at all. Turned the engine over by hand
by the clutch with the plugs out, and didn't hear anything unusual except the lash in the
counterbalancer gear when rocking back and forth. But last two times out on the trails
it starting making bad noises after 20 miles or so. I suppose, better to tear down
unnecessarily than totally blow it up. My favorite sled of all time and don't want to have
to junk it.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
I got rid of the phillips and put in 6mm bolts. Just don't over tighten the bolts. Its easy for some people to do because they are bolts. Maybe that's why cat put in screws.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dont ever second guess yourself, your doing the right thing tearing it down. If a balancer bearing or a crank bearing seizes it will also ruin the cases....expensive and hard to find, the crankshaft to rebuild is also expensive. Im in the same boat only im in for a crank. Anti-freeze is good where its suspose to be, anywhere else its deadly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a similar noise in my Tcat. When I rock the clutch back and forth I hear a clink sound. How big of a job is it to pull the motor and then reinstall it getting the proper belt alignment. I don't have an alignment tool.

·
Registered
515 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Feb 21 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You don't have to dissassemble the entire motor... Remove the engine from the sled, turn it upside down on the bench, and remove the lower crankcase half.
The bearing noise you hear might also be a crank bearing, so while you have it open the opportunity is there.

Change the waterpump parts while it's all apart too. Start fresh with all new pump & bearings.

:chug:[/b]
Just curious how hard it would be to put back together locking the bearings into place....

·
Registered
11 Posts
AC Big Bore,
I had a post about a month ago on this issue, my 01 T-cat (5200 miles) had rattling noise that continued to get louder, I would listen to my buddies 1000 with 1200 miles and I could hear the same noise faintly, but on mine it grew louder over the last year. I pulled the motor and was about to do an (upside down) teardown; but instead took it to a local performance shop (one stop performance). Turned out to be the gear was wearing out on the counter balance shaft.

They checked the crank, replaced the seals and impeller on the water pump, and had them throw in a new top end while it was torn down, added a 2 deg timing key brought the motor home at 7pm and threw it in the sled and was on the way north by 9:30 (not bad for a rookie).
She sounds great now.
Good luck FC2

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a nice used balance shaft if anybody needs one..... :super_happy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts