Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to learn more about T cat clutches, My 98 has a 9 Tower that is cracked, so requires replacement. . What year Arctic cat Sleds have a suitable 6 tower Clutch I can use in my 1998 T cat ? Also which Year T cats came with the Upgraded 6 tower Clutches? So far haven't had any Luck finding one. Thanx Guys.

·
Administrator
2,394 Posts
AFIK they never made a 6 tower clutch with older style bushed weights, and the crank taper you need.
You'll need to switch to a set screw style weight (far, far better setup)
New parts:
0746-839 fixed pin clutch
0746-539 53g weights for 98-2002

If you want to gamble on used stuff, you'll need a clutch from 2006 or newer z370, or z570, and weights

·
Registered
302 Posts
Trying to learn more about T cat clutches, My 98 has a 9 Tower that is cracked, so requires replacement. . What year Arctic cat Sleds have a suitable 6 tower Clutch I can use in my 1998 T cat ? Also which Year T cats came with the Upgraded 6 tower Clutches? So far haven't had any Luck finding one. Thanx Guys.
Where did your 9 tower crack?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cracked around Junction of the Belt Sheave and Shaft. Radial cracking around the chromed shaft joins the Clutch . I am OK buying a new one ,where in Ontario (Canada) do i find one?

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
I just have always looked on Ebay. Face book market place had one last week for 250 and was new. If I had the money I would of bought it myself just to have. I don't want the newer style myself because I have a ton of the older weights that won't work in the newer style. Not to mention there are numerous recommendations on what weight equals an older style weight in grams. My experience has been some are 2 some are 3 and some are 4 grams different. In what I have played with, there seems to be not rime or reason.

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
AFIK they never made a 6 tower clutch with older style bushed weights, and the crank taper you need.
You'll need to switch to a set screw style weight (far, far better setup)
New parts:
0746-839 fixed pin clutch
0746-539 53g weights for 98-2002

If you want to gamble on used stuff, you'll need a clutch from 2006 or newer z370, or z570, and weights
2003 MY 30mm 8” primaries from ZR440sp models.
There were lots of the newly released 6-towers also available as they were beginning to SS the 9-towers then.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Looks like Krom gave some bad advice. lol. Must of been an old post and was not aware of them. They made them. Yes I run 6 & 9. If they are in good shape why not. I have a 9 on my Hooper 1050 and a 6 on my 2000 T-cat and zrt-1004. I see them on Ebay and Facebook market place from time to time. I wouldn't think a dealer would have any left overs but hey,...maybe. Just have to keep looking. Kind of a PIA if you need one right away.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
how to measure the crank size hole to find out what clutch you have?
i have a few low mile clutches, but they were not marked when removed from the sleds.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Here is a used clutch. Not sure if its 8.25" but is 30mm. If you buy used for your bigger sleds I always get the clutches with the lower miles and off a smaller engine. Less wear and stress on the clutches. Never had an issue with all the sleds I have fixed and sold over the years. There are a few on there now, if you can't find a newer 6 post. Here is an example:
Arctic cat firecat f5 440 primary clutch 30mm good condition! F5 F6 f7 sabrecat

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
how to measure the crank size hole to find out what clutch you have?
i have a few low mile clutches, but they were not marked when removed from the sleds.
Not sure other than to try and fit it. I have no measurements.

·
Administrator
2,394 Posts
Laydown 440 and 500 have the 30mm crank, and the race sled stuck with the old style bushed weights longer than the trail sleds, but it will have a different offset than a clutch from an older "stand up" engine.
Cat labels the clutch taper as "deep" for the older stand up engines, and "shallow" for laydown engines.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the replies. Used to be able to buy new but no more. I am keeping an eye open. Jeff thanx ,,,some people wont even ship to Canmada from Ebay.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
looks like i have
2 33mm
new style 6 tower
with small pin
How many miles and how much? If Mike don't want I (may) be interested). These 8.25" clutches?

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
800 miles on the one.
has no weights or spring.
how about $250 shipped?
the other said to be 1800 but it was off when i got the used sled

1 - 20 of 24 Posts