Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep thinking that when my wire line needs replacing I will switch.
But, my buddy was talking to a dealer, and they told him that it was great stuff for pulling, but it will snap if you try to tug someone out (not with the winch, but reversing).

I said I have never seen anyone complain about that, but the dealer says they have replaced broken line from this.

I figure it's just some guy giving an excuse to get a new line, but has anyone heard of this?

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you are jerking with any rigid line, it will eventually give.

That's why I like to use one of the nylon tow ropes to attach at the end of the rope. They are < $10 and are made to absorb the shock of jerking and don't get hurt when you wrap around something like a cable.

They synthetic rope you mention is a good step up from the cable, but I'd still use the tow rope in addition.

Another advantage is that the tow rope will eventually wear, cut, etc if you use it a lot :) and for under $10, it's a lot cheaper than replacing the rope or cable.

-DiskDoctr

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've never tried yanking on it at all, but it would seem if you did that with a steel rope you'd eventually end up doing the same thing...snapping the line...and if I were going to be in a situation where my line might snap I'd rather have the rope snap and fall dead than the steel rope and risk it coming back at me! eekkk Accidents happen, I'll keep taking my chances with the synth., because the other 99% of the time that I'm not being stupid with my winch rope I'm using it bare handed and laughing at the steel guys! Each probably has it's place and advantages however.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
As others have stated here, I haven't used mine for jerking anyone out, but as stated I would use a tow rope or something like that. Honestly, if you are jerking someone out of a pit (be it with synthetic rope or steel), you not only are straining the cable, but also the winch and potentially the frame depending on how hard the jolt is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have pulled with the winch and in reverse as well as sometimes both at once and there is no sign of wear. i know that my winch is a 2500 lbs winch and that the rope is tested at 3500 lbs so by rights the winch should break before the rope. i have 4 friends with the rope too and they never had any problems. I also found so far that it has lasted at least twice as long as a normal cable. I highly recomand the synthetic rope.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cat attack 05 @ Feb 5 2007, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i have pulled with the winch and in reverse as well as sometimes both at once and there is no sign of wear. i know that my winch is a 2500 lbs winch and that the rope is tested at 3500 lbs so by rights the winch should break before the rope. i have 4 friends with the rope too and they never had any problems. I also found so far that it has lasted at least twice as long as a normal cable. I highly recomand the synthetic rope.[/b]
What was that? I couldn't see it :tongue_nana: .

Hehe. J/king.

Yeah I have no question about the rope itself. I will try it, when mine is finished. I was just wondering if anyone heard of such a thing.

I don't pull anyone out in reverse anyway. Its a good way to smoke the belt on a V2.
I also carry a tow strap. I have to, there is a Polaris in the group slaphappy .

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was towing logs out and had to back up to get it started up the hill. Had to jerk it pretty good. It pulls much better forward, with the rope on the rear hitch.

The tow ropes are made to give a bit of stretch when jerking and pulling.

I also like to get the tires spinning, if I can't pull dead weight, and bounce up and down on the ATV. Saves the belt on my '03 500 Auto, and gets traction to pull out. More like "surge pulling" rather than "jerking."

Also, be sure to put the majority of the load on the rear wheels, NOT the front when pulling backwards. Lots of risk of damage if pulling too hard in reverse on the front end.

I read some of the stories and the explanation of the gears and have thankfully avoided it so far. Hopefully, you'll do the same.

-DiskDoctr

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Feb 5 2007, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As others have stated here, I haven't used mine for jerking anyone out, but as stated I would use a tow rope or something like that. Honestly, if you are jerking someone out of a pit (be it with synthetic rope or steel), you not only are straining the cable, but also the winch and potentially the frame depending on how hard the jolt is.[/b]
And the synthetic rope is real easy to throw to someone out in the deep water right Sanny?? not that we were stuck but someone we know was in deeper than he should have been and I tossed that rope right to him the first try and he didn't have to duck from being hit by anything but the hook on the end of it.. I will defianately be replacing mine with synthetic stuff when my cable goes south on me, sooner than I may think it might be by spring time when I change it out.. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
That's right jimmer. :) With the synthetic, a guy can toss the winch hook out to someone like a baseball without it dropping due to the weight of the steel cable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Feb 5 2007, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As others have stated here, I haven't used mine for jerking anyone out, but as stated I would use a tow rope or something like that. Honestly, if you are jerking someone out of a pit (be it with synthetic rope or steel), you not only are straining the cable, but also the winch and potentially the frame depending on how hard the jolt is.[/b]
I used my winch to jerk a bike out of a hole and strip the the plastic gears inside my winch ( Warn winch) Just a heads up.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I like to bury the tires down in the mud then put the brake on and slowly pull the other person out. Once they are out every one thinks that you are stuck too and then you just pop right up out of them holes!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've got synthetic on both my front and rear winches and absolutely love the stuff. I too avoid "jerking" when pulling someone out because I feel it's ot only hard on the line and winch, but hard on you machine and the machine you are pulling out.

With that said, I was up ice fishing a couple of weeks ago (thanks to a good Arctic Chat friend who let us use his shack!) and had the occasion to HAVE to use the jerk method.

While crossing a pressure crack, I felt the rear tires break through. Before I could signal to my buddy to go around, he was axle deep in frozen water. I tried to winch him out, but on the ice, my machine just kept sliding backward. I had no choice but to give him a pretty hard yank to "pop" the tires out of the pressure crack. Of course, the rear tires dropped in and I had to do it all over again. I did loop the winch line around the rear clevis on the back of the bike to take the strain off the winch itself, but the synthetic help up just fine.

Here's a pic of our "situation"

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tubes77 @ Feb 6 2007, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've got synthetic on both my front and rear winches and absolutely love the stuff. I too avoid "jerking" when pulling someone out because I feel it's ot only hard on the line and winch, but hard on you machine and the machine you are pulling out.

With that said, I was up ice fishing a couple of weeks ago (thanks to a good Arctic Chat friend who let us use his shack!) and had the occasion to HAVE to use the jerk method.

While crossing a pressure crack, I felt the rear tires break through. Before I could signal to my buddy to go around, he was axle deep in frozen water. I tried to winch him out, but on the ice, my machine just kept sliding backward. I had no choice but to give him a pretty hard yank to "pop" the tires out of the pressure crack. Of course, the rear tires dropped in and I had to do it all over again. I did loop the winch line around the rear clevis on the back of the bike to take the strain off the winch itself, but the synthetic help up just fine.

Here's a pic of our "situation"

[/b]

That's a good situation!!! At least you got through, right?? :tongue_nana:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes we got through it.. the good thing was that the machine in the crack is my brothers bike that we borrowed for the trip naughty

I wasn't sure I should show him that pic when I got back, but I did and he took it well!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts