Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a post recently on changing my oil. I have an 07 H1, my dealer says it came from the factory with synthetic oil in it..I was looking into changing my oil with regular stuff to help the break in..Im not an oil afficiando, so I looked at the oil on the old dipstick, it was very clear, almost like budweiser clear..how can I tell if there is synthetic in it, does it look all that much different???

·
Registered
434 Posts
The difference between dino and synth is on a moleclar level for the most part. The only visible difference might be the tint the added detergents could possibly give the oil, although I doubt any of us would be able to eye ball one or the other. Really a motor will break-in just fine on synth, sure it might take 5% more time but it will get there all the same. Vipers, vettes and BMW's come from the factory with synth as do many racing bikes. These motors all break-in fine, infact I would think the added protection synth could give a tight motor might be a bonus. Run with whatever makes you most comftorable. Any name brand oil dino or synth will protect your motor fine, just make sure to change it regularly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
synthetic lasts way longer, less break-down when hot. you will find in the cold of winter that it flows way better when cold. since cold start-up is the most wear time on a motor, this really helps. maine is cold in winter right? synthetic flows about the same old / new - hot / cold. you know how regular is in winter-THICK. synthetic costs more, but big deal. just don't go regular and then switch. the high detergent will remove all the crust that might be holding your old motor together!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts