Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum as I have recently traded my '93 Honda TRX300FW (aka "the immortal quad"...) for a '04 500 Manual (IRS)with about 5k miles on it... I want to do an oil change and picked up one of those kits from the dealer.... after regaining conciousness after hearing the price I bucked up and payed the man... Later I noticed that this kit comes with full synthetic oil. My owners manual just calls for a good grade 10W-40. I was in touch with the ex-owner and this quad has had mineral oil in it for the past 4500 miles . So the questions are:

1. Any advantages to switching to synthetic oil at this point?
2. Any leaky seal concerns?
3. Any other info you may feel is usefull please feel free.....

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
next time get wet clutch oil from a parts store and a filter at walmart.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mobil 1 10W40 Motorcycle oil & Fram PH6018 has served me quite well for many many miles.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pavoner @ Nov 21 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum as I have recently traded my '93 Honda TRX300FW (aka "the immortal quad"...) for a '04 500 Manual (IRS)with about 5k miles on it... I want to do an oil change and picked up one of those kits from the dealer.... after regaining conciousness after hearing the price I bucked up and payed the man... Later I noticed that this kit comes with full synthetic oil. My owners manual just calls for a good grade 10W-40. I was in touch with the ex-owner and this quad has had mineral oil in it for the past 4500 miles . So the questions are:

1. Any advantages to switching to synthetic oil at this point?
2. Any leaky seal concerns?
3. Any other info you may feel is usefull please feel free.....[/b]
Is the oil he was using for wet clutch applications?
I buy Arctic Cat full synthetic 0w40 from the dealer (need to support our local dealers, not many of them left)and I get Fram filters at Wal-Mart.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I like to use synthetic because here in MN it can get quite cold...I want protection sooner than later. I use Amsoil myself. Make sure whatever you use is wet clutch compatible, otherwise you'll be changing out your clutch pack.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
if the previous owner was running staright petro (non-synthetic) i'd stick with that. after that many miles you may develope new leaks with synthetic. tried sawpping from petro to synthetic in my last harley, it found more places to drip from that i knew existed. never got low enough to be a concern but i went back to petro after one oil change and the drips stopped. have talksd to a few h-d techs and they say that it is very common for this to happen. the synthetics are too slippery after the gaskets/seals are exposed to petro.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Squeeker....great point. That issue never crossed my mind.....I could see that happening.

I've been using synthetic with no issues.....only use it because a lot of my buddies that race vintage motocross swear by it in the 2 cycle mix synthetic oil.....less piston changes and bores.

Figure if its saving them pistons, it should extend my 4 cycle motor life, but may not be for every application like you pointed out with the leaks on the Harley. Great tip!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
is wet clutch oil the norm for all ATV's? I just changed the oil in my 700 EFI and I used automobile grade synthetic Mobil 5W30, whats that a mistake? :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
yes these (except 650 v2) take wet clutch oil, regular auto oil will cause the clutch to slip.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (valdelocc @ Nov 22 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
is wet clutch oil the norm for all ATV's? I just changed the oil in my 700 EFI and I used automobile grade synthetic Mobil 5W30, whats that a mistake? :eek:[/b]
YES friend big mistake. Personally i feel oil isnt something to cheap on or use the wrong type. I use only cat synthetic (however any good wet clutch CERTIFIED) oil is good. Get that stuff outa there before you burn up your wet clutch man lol.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
ive been running cats 0w40 extreme synthetic for years ,now i run there new synthetic
5w50w acx oil, never once did i have an issue with lubrication problems or leaks.

yes it is a little on the pricey side $45 for the kit, but compare that to how much the atv cost
when it comes to oil's lubricants i dont cheap out and run to wally world and buy whats on sale
just remember that oil is the blood of that engine, cheap tranfusions cause expensive problems
on the operating table

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
The Mobile 1 you put in there MIGHT be OK (I've read it is) but if it were mine, I'd drop the oil out and put wet clutch compatible oil. If you prefer M1, they make some oil for your wheeler I believe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am a firm believer in the arctic cat synthetic 50w oil, when I tore my engine apart to update the bevels @ 2300 miles, the casings, gears, heck everything was clean as a whistle. My mechanic couldn't believe how clean it was with that many hard miles. Also how great of shape everything was in. Just my 2 cents...

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (leftysqueeker @ Nov 21 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
tried sawpping from petro to synthetic in my last harley, it found more places to drip from that i knew existed. never got low enough to be a concern but i went back to petro after one oil change and the drips stopped. [/b]
A Harley that leaked oil.......... GET OUTTA TOWN.... na na

LOL.......I had one I'm allowed to say that.......

Oh and I run Yamalube in mine (10w40 Winter, 20w50 Summer), the local shop doesn't sell AC or Suzuki Oil
Run 'Zuki filters

BTI

·
Registered
11 Posts
I drained the wrong oil and replaced it with Mobil-1 synthetic wet clutch oil,this is the second time I've changed the oil and both times I found rubber O-ring like pieces in the waste oil, should I worry about that? my ATV has 11 hour only.

·
Registered
9 Posts
prob just the o ring from the drain plug. Next time you change oil inspect the plug and replace o ring if necessary.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I agree about the drain plug. In fact, I would take the oil plug out then quickly plug the hole with my finger so as not to loose the oil, inspect the plug washer/ring then put the plug back in quickly. I looked at the parts diagram, and it says it's a plug gasket, so it doesn't say if it's metal or rubber. Mine on my H1 is metal though...and the others that I've seen have also been metal as well. So, if it is indeed a metal gasket, then I would bring it to your dealer ASAP...could be a seal or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
this guy who is askin about the oil is ridin a 500 manual... alot of u r talkin bout automatic transmissions like i have. r the automatics supposed to run the wet clutch oil too? if so i need to run to the store cuz i just changed my oil n put regular automotive oil in it.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Yes the autos have the same style of wet clutch and need the same type of oil as the manual one that is safe for wet clutches.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts