Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 2006 XFire 7 sno pro with 1300 miles on it. after i clean the powervalves this week would it be safe to drain the APV oil and start running Dominator? Its very tempting since ive heard many good things about Dominator and I can get gallons for free or below cost per gallon (depending on availability)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I run amsoil interceptor in all my 2 stroke machines bikes and sleds.
Been amazed at how good this stuff is and how much life i can get out of a dirt bike top end with it.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Isn't Amsoil Dominator for 2cyl. engines that are going to be tore down on a regular basis to have pistons and rings replaced ? At least that is what I have read about it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No, not really, but interceptor is probably a better choice with power valves. I ran dominator in my 02 thundercat, after 800 miles (after rebuild) you can still see the cross hatching in the cylinders. Really,really good oils.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
I dunno I have always ran amsoil interceptor, But the following is on the Amsoil website. I think we have a sponsor here on Achat that might chime in.

DOMINATOR® Synthetic 2-Cycle Racing Oil (TDR)
DOMINATOR®, an AMSOIL exclusive formulation, lubricates and protects high performance two-cycle motors, both on and off the track. High performance motors, particularly those that are modified, operate hotter and at higher RPMs than recreational motors, and they need good oil for peak performance. DOMINATOR is engineered for racing. It has the right film strength and clean burning properties for “on the edge” operation. JASO FC, API TC
* Not suitable for long-term use in outboard motors as a TC-W3 type oil, although excellent as a race oil for short-term use where motors are periodically inspected.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
ISO-L-EGC which is similar to the JASO FC rating.

The ISO-L-EGD+ was created to establish a higher standard of detergency and ability to withstand higher levels of heat. The new test runs for 3 hours vs 1 hour for the previous test.
If a lubricant is certified ISO-L-EGD+ it has passed the most stringent tests set by American, Japanese and European engine manufacturers. Polaris recommends TC-W3 lubricants, Yamaha JASO FC and Ski-Doo/Sea-Doo requires ISO-L-EDG+ lubricants.
None of the three North American snowmobile manufacturers specify use of TC-W3 oil in their owner’s manuals. Bombardier pointedly tells its customers not to use it, recommending API-TC rated oil instead.

Until recently, the top JASO oil rating was FC, and you will continue to see this listed in many places. But the tougher FD rating is now available, and some companies upgraded their products. The JASO-FC standard is also important because it includes a test to specifically measure exhaust smoke. So JASO-FC and the subsequent FD test is the key for visible exhaust emissions.

ISO-L-EGD is the top European two-stroke standard, with EGC and EGB as lower performance levels. A plus sign after the letters (EGD+) means that the rating is significantly exceeded.

Use the oil ratings as a guide, compare costs and availability, and try to stay with one product if possible. Availability becomes a factor for many of us; if you can’t carry enough with you, run something that you can find readily where you ride to fill the gaps.

Plain old TCW-3 won’t cut it in many of the higher-tech engines. Look for JASO-FC (and now FD) and ISO EGD ratings as indicators of a minimum performance standard for the newest, trickest engines. Mod packages may require extra quality and or quantity to provide adequate lubrication; consult with the engine builder or package supplier on what their experience has been.

ISO EGD is the “European” specification that slightly exceeds the “Japanese” JASO-FC. There is a new JASO-FD spec, as the ISO and JASO testing sequences have come closer together with the latest ‘FD’ and ‘EGD’ designations. Previously, the only difference was a 1 hour and 3 hour detergency - lubricity - ring groove - sticking test with JASO-FC and ISO-EGD respectively. Now, they are the same set of tests.

Maxima TundraR, a synthetic blend that is pretty clean burning, ISO EGD

Amsoil Interceptor This fully-synthetic oil is JASO-FC rated (Robert said is good)

Klotz Snowmobile Techniplateit it too is ISO EGD rated

Spectro that is also ISO EGD rated

Blue Marble claims to be ISO EGD rated

ARCTIC BLUE™ Synthetic Blend is qualified internationally: Exceeds API TC or TSC-3 in North America. Exceeds Japanese Automobile Standard Organization new JASO
specification "FC". Meets or exceeds performance requirements of International Standards Organization new ISO Global Specifications "GC" (ISO-L-EGC) and "GD"
(ISO-L-EGD).

Torco Exceeds JASO-FC / ISO-L-EGD / API-TC

Shell Advance Snow Ultra High Performance Synthetic Snowmobile Oil ISO-EGD and the JASO FC standard.

Maxima Lubricants Super-M Injector Oil Exceeds BIA/TC-W, JASO-FC, ISO-E-GD & API-TC specifications

Legend ZX-2R exceeds NMMA (formerly BIA) TCW3, ISO-L-EGB and JASO FB specifications. ZX-2R is a mineral based, synthetically infused blend of superior chemical components designed to outperform the most expensive synthetics.

Legend ZX-2SR exceeds API TC, ISO-L-EGD and JASO FC+ specifications. ZX-2SR is a blend of the finest mineral base stocks “chemically infused” with nano-molecular additive technology.
Royal Purple-TCW-III (Robert said is good)

Citgo SuperGard Sea and Snow. Citgo is Venezuela’s oil company run by Hugo Chavez. The synthetic blend formula meets or exceeds the rigorous requirements of the API TC, JASO FC and ISO EGD classifications for 2-cycle air-cooled engine oils and also exceeds the performance requirements for JASO FA, JASO FB, ISO-L-EGB, and ISO-L-EGC. The JASO FC Certification Number is 001 CGO 535. SUPERGARD Sea and Snow is formulated primarily for use in snowmobiles and personal watercraft. It can be used in motorcycles, generators, lawnmowers, and hand held power equipment such as leaf blowers, trimmers, and chainsaws.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the wal-mart super tech stuff is fine for a older sled i used to run that in my 98 polaris xcr 700 triple but i wouldent put that in my new sled that has power valves it will clogg them up

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have some friends that work at Amsoil up in Superior, WI and they claim the techs there say that dominator is just fine to use in an everyday sled. I ran Interceptor in my 03 F5 and the powervalves took a dump on me so thats why im a little nervous. I used dominator in my fully built TRX 310R and it ran great, but that is non powervalved. a buddy uses dominator in his Ski-Don't 440's, but he seems to blow engines a lot (he is a bit of an idiot though). I just really dont want to keep spending $40 per gallon for Cat oil when its really not a great oil. Klotz seems good, but very expensive and they use Amsoil base stock anyways. So would it be smart to switch to Dominator or not?? Two friends are coming down here from Grand Forks this weekend to buy a pair of new F1000's and they will be running Dominator right away

·
Registered
127 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (joshmb84 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the wal-mart super tech stuff is fine for a older sled i used to run that in my 98 polaris xcr 700 triple but i wouldent put that in my new sled that has power valves it will clogg them up[/b]

I'll be running it in my 2002 600 EFI Pantera with the exhaust valves.
saving 40 bucks a gallon is worth cleaning the valves once or twice a season.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used the fleet farm stuff in my ZRT blue something or another. But I think my new sled i'm going to use Amsoil and also switch the ZRT over to it also. going to top end it here this coming weekend and I think i'll switch oils while i'm at it. hopefully the Interceptor doesn't let me down this winter.

·
Administrator
19,876 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firecat400EX @ Nov 18 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have some friends that work at Amsoil up in Superior, WI and they claim the techs there say that dominator is just fine to use in an everyday sled. I ran Interceptor in my 03 F5 and the powervalves took a dump on me so thats why im a little nervous. I used dominator in my fully built TRX 310R and it ran great, but that is non powervalved. a buddy uses dominator in his Ski-Don't 440's, but he seems to blow engines a lot (he is a bit of an idiot though). I just really dont want to keep spending $40 per gallon for Cat oil when its really not a great oil. Klotz seems good, but very expensive and they use Amsoil base stock anyways. So would it be smart to switch to Dominator or not?? Two friends are coming down here from Grand Forks this weekend to buy a pair of new F1000's and they will be running Dominator right away[/b]
100% absolute truth

Any engine can blow up,, seems rotaxes over the yrs have had some issues as well as other brands have had,, late 90's Cat 440 race sleds imho are probably the most "talked about' sleds on the net as far as bashers against cats using them as example about as often as a drop of water flows over Naigra Falls,, my '99 SP has run Dominator since day one (i'm second owner) and the guy before me took pretty sad care of the sled overall, but the engine hasn't failed other than a flattened o-ring in pto cyl and base gaskets taking a "timed dump" on me one day

During that "timed dump" and the o-ring failure 3 wks earlier, several ounces (over 2 gallons worth FTR over a 260+ mile combo) of coolant went through my engines lower end and top end under very punishing conditions as I never backed off the lever and it is still on original cylinders and only has the 2 new piston assy's installed around the 5k mark when base gaskets both at same time took their :turd:

I'm 100% sold on Dominator, it also is an excellent "protecting" oil, leaves a marvelous thick film that fights rust during off season

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my next question was going to be about off season storage, if the dominator has good rust protection and water protection

·
Registered
175 Posts
HAVE RUN AMSOIL 100 TO 1 IN MY BOAT AND DIRT BIKE, BOUGHT 25 HP MERCURY RAN MERCURY OIL FIRST TANK BOAT SMOKED AND STUNK COULD NOT TAKE IT!! FOUND AMS DEALER RIGHT DOWN ROAD AND SWITCHED 100 % BETTER VERY LITTLE SMOKE AND NO SULFER TASTE AFTER ALL DAY LOW RPM FISHING TRIP. SAME WITH HIGH COMPRESSION FACTORY RACE BIKE FROM KAWI. BOTH WANTED AROUND 30 TO 1, I RUN AMSOIL AT 100-1 AFTER 2 YEARS OF ABUSE ON BOTH MOTORS AND LETTING BOAT SIT OVER WINTER AND BIKE FIRE IT RIGHT UP NO PROBLEMS CYLINDER WALLS LOOK GOOD PLUGS AND COMPRESSION PERFECT WILL ONLY RUN AMSOIL SYN. ON ALL YARD EQUIMENTY AND TOYS

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just bought a 98 ZL500 wit 701 miles on it today. the guy that i boguht it from only put 3 miles on the sled and filled it with some castrol 2-cycle oil. i dont know what was ran in it prior. what should a switch this sled to? some Arctic Blue synthetic? Standard Cat oil? something cheap?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts