Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding my 99 ZL 500 on rough trails last weekend. There were two of us on it.

After riding for two or three hours, then getting off, I noticed the sled appeared to be sitting very low. In fact, it was sitting about an inch from bottom rather than having the usual 6 or so inches of travel it normally does.

Everything in the suspension looks good, but obviously something is wrong.

A few hours later, the sled had risen back to a normal level, but within a few minutes of riding, it was back to sagging.

My thinking is it must be a shock, but is it the front or back one? Is there a way to tell without pulling them both out?

Also, why does it sag so far even with no weight? Aren't the springs supposed to hold it up, too, or do the springs only absorb the very last bit?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
If you are going to continue to ride double, yeah, heavier springs will help alot. Disadvantage is that with heavier springs, and turn adjuster on lowest setting, it will be stiff for single rider.

On my wife's two-up, she has 2 extra springs that you can flip up when ridding 2 or down when single. Now these are on a 136" rails. I don't know if it can be put on a short 121" rail that I assume you have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.