Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been talking to a guy on this Supreme secondary clutch. This clutch uses the old style Arctic cat helix & styling it comes in 10.4,10.6,11.0 & 11.25 diametre sizes. They say that it realy wakes up the diamond drive sleds. Has anyone used this clutch yet? If so what would be the benifit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
They say that the bigger secondarys wake up the diamond drive.

The conversion would give you more tunability; basically, like the RK Tech/Pure Logic (If any one figures it out), and the Team Conversion. Just another way of tuning. I guess if you know allot about the older helixes/springs you would probably do pretty good with this kit. However, from what I reading on this site, many of the hardcore riders are tuning the stock setup just fine (with allot of testing). Bottom line is, How deep are your pockets?

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Been playing with the Supreme clutch for about 3 weeks now and all I can say is that it is probably the best $500 I've spent on a sled in yrs. Even with good tuning on a DD clutch, even with the shift assist (which works very, very well too), these clutches shift so much quicker and are so easy to work on I haven't given my DD clutch a second look since. Remember the days when you could change a helix or spring on the trailside ?? Without having to take an hour or without needing a bunch of tools ?? Or change a belt simply by pushing in on the end cap BY HAND...no tools needed ....and what about belt life...I have yet to see ANY heat in any of the 3 clutch set-ups we are running (one is on a carb 06 F7/900 twin piper, one is a 06 F6efi/900 twin piper, the last is on a 05 F7efi/800 twin piper)....No heat...NONE....can hold the clutches after long, hard pulls just as if they were sitting on the bench for the last 3 days....

Basically, IMO....it is the way Cat should have continued to make their clutches.....and maybe they will change back.....after having these I can see no reason what-so-ever to want/need the DD unit.....and see no benefits to it's design......

$500 may seem like alot for a clutch, but price out a stock clutch and see what that costs......how much are a set of reeds ?? How about a single pipe or even twins?? A porting job???? Or even just a cluch kit ?? How much is your time worth...when it takes minutes to change/tune these or the stock DD's hour+ ??
I guess to each their own as to what the value is...but to me it was a no-brainer...... as I said before...EASILY the best $500 I've spent in yrs!!!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lj500 @ Jan 30 2007, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just my opinion,
Start with the D&D shift assist and go from there.
On the stock secondary that is.

LJ[/b]

Do you think the shift assit will also help on a Jag?

And how do you adjust the secondary? My belt looks like it is sitting to low in there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
ordered my supreme today. Mark (at supreme) impressed me (pretty hard) with his knowledge and understanding of this setup. I just got back from out west and some guys I know there so a little fabbing andd they purchased a supreme to evaluate it. It REALLY woke the M8 up. It really launched down low and midrange whereas the stock was pretty uneventful. Great investment for your sled!

B :tongue_nana:

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (trexf8 @ Feb 2 2007, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
taperk600

These clutches shift as good as they say they do?[/b]
YES... with out a doubt.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Guys keep in mind you'll have to use bigger gears with this clutch. The 11" only shifts to a 1:1 ratio. At 1:1 the M's are only doing about 50 mph. Crossfires will only do 70 or so at 1:1. So if you have a trail sled you'll not only need the clutch, but BIG gears also. Probably the biggest gears they make to get a decent top speed #.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If a person was to run the 10.4" you shouldn't have to change gears, should you? It is the same size as the stock one. But would it give you the same shifts as the bigger ones?

·
Registered
41 Posts
no gear change is necessary. Here's why:...
#1 The only thing you are gaining from a larger secondary is a greater shift range...like adding another gear in an automatic trans in a car.

#2 The final drive ratio is the same

#3 The belt changes to a longer belt to compensate for deflection. all in all the same top end ration along with bottom end ratio. It just has a greater shifting area.

B :tongue_nana:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Bill, the D&D 11" clutch only shifts to a 1:1 ratio. How can this be different?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'll wait for your testing results Bill. Let us know if your Crossfire cracks 80mph with this big clutch. Not sure how you'll fit in the chassis either????????????????

·
Registered
21 Posts
there is no way the final ratio can be as high with a larger sec clutch. It will launch harder , be easyer on belts, but will be slower on the top end in theory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts