Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a ride today with three bikes. I have mine snorkelled and was riding through some rack deep water and all seemed fine then it just died. I didn't try to start it because the muffler was under. Its not a whole lot deeper than I normally ride in but I didn't have the rpms and front end out of the water like I normally do. I pulled in out and stood it up on the rear bumper and drained the muffler out for about 2 minutes, put it down and it started right up. It ran a little rough and there seemed to be a little moisture in the lid of the airbox but nothing that got past the air filter. All seems fine now.
My brothers stock 06 500m didn't fair so well. He took water in through the airbox on a short deep crossing. It didn't die until he was up on the other side of the deep spot. ie stalled in a swamp in the middle of nowhere in about a foot and a half of water. Pulled out the air filter and the airbox was pretty full. Dried it out. The muffler was still out and we tried turning it over about 1 sec and when he let off the starter it seemed to lock up. The pull starter wouldn't turn it over either put we didn't force it. We towed it home. Pulled out the spark plug and blew alot of water out of the head. Put the spark plug back in and it started first pull.
The oil on both bikes look fine. He's gonna change his anyway because its due but mine was changed this morning. He's gonna clean and oil the air filter and replace the spark plug as well.
Even with all that it was a great ride and we have some good pics. I think we have pics both times right before we swamped them.
Any idea what may have caused mine to die?
Anything else we have to worry about or can we just drive on with these bikes?
Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance for any replies.
:site:

WC

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just before I sunk mine

[attachment=59819:DSC00242.jpg]

Just before my brother sunk his

[attachment=59820:DSC00262.jpg]

A few others

[attachment=59821:DSC00241.jpg]

[attachment=59822:DSC00261.jpg]

WC

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
THe vent tubes under your air box can pull in water causing it to die if you dont seal them up.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You know I always hear guys talking about how easy it is to drown a AC, I can see now its mostly rider error, these are ATV's not submarines, dang in 2 years of trail riding I never felt the need to ford rivers and lakes on my Polaris or AC. :super_happy:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Numerous issues could have come into play here.

1. Electrical could have shorted out (cure=dope up all connections including coil and plug wire with dialectric grease).

2. Water could have come up the carb drain line. Cure=plug with screw

3. Carb vent line likely took in water. Cure=route vent line to higher place, like under pod.

4. Water got in airbox via duckbill/drains. Cure=plug with silicon.

5. Water got in via air vent/duct. Cure=ensure all air passages are sealed up and not cracked.

Your brother's 500 was likely hydrolocked. You were VERY lucky you didn't bust your piston rod when you hit the starter. If that happens again, first thing to do is tip it up like you did, then pull the plug and get that water out.

At this point you would both be very wise to change your oil for good measure (as well as the filter) and also clean out your carbs.

Another thing I recommend doing is installing a small inline fuel filter. that way any grit that may get in the gas is caught there vs. your carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts