Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 650 h1

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after some research i discovered that the dealership is asking $100us below msrp on both bikes. wich on should i get? there is only a $500us difference. I like the idea of the manual but also like the power of the h1. my delima here is, what will the 500 do after a few hundred miles? will it "wake up". I have only riden each in stock form and new (test drive)
what to do, what to do? such a tough call.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
650 hi i voted for. I just dont think the 500m is that impressive.

cardio

·
Registered
140 Posts
THe H1. Hands down. I've ridden a few at work and am impressed. I've thought about swapping in an H1 on my TBX in the past. Now, I'm thinking about trading up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
depends on if you want to shift or not ?? if you dont really care about shifting then get the H1,its really going to be your call on this because your the one that will have to shift or not. the money is so close on these 2 to me thats what it comes down to..

If you put a pipe on the 500 and a clutch kit it really wakes them up from stock. but that is more money lol

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, 16 votes so far and none for the 500 i thought it would be closer than this. but this makes it easier on me. i think i see an h1 in my future.

·
Registered
84 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mrmrezg @ Jan 2 2007, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
wow, 16 votes so far and none for the 500 i thought it would be closer than this. but this makes it easier on me. i think i see an h1 in my future.[/b]
I think you will be very pleased if you go with the H1. I am quite happy with the power of the H1. My .02

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I think gwc summed it up good. I choose the 500m because of reliability and simplicity features.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I chose the 500 because i like to shift

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Both are good, but youre getting more with the 650, more power more resale later down the road. But if you dont need a whole lot of extra power and want a great reliable atv, the 500 is about as good as it gets. Both are good choices, you might be able to talk them down some more on the 500, the 06's around here are going for 1000.00 below msrp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
H1, more of a machine and as someone had already said used value will be greater down the road. My old 05 polaris 330 atp Kelly blue book value is $4095 and my 05 Arctic cat V2 650 is $5280 yes there is a difference of builders but it gives you an idea.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
If you're into reliability above all else, the 500 is the route to go. My dealer advised me that the 500 is the most reliable liquid cooled model he sells. Might be that people who buy them aren't rodding them as much as the bigger machines. Has anyone out there contemplated the reasons for putting an oil cooler on the 650 H1? Could it possibly be that the 500 engine platform was used to produce the 650 and the added stress on the original design required additional cooling? I'm not saying that is fact but, why isn't there an oil cooler on the 500s? My choice would be a 500 manual.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kevinbender0311 @ Jan 4 2007, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
h1 is liquid cooled, don't think that there is a oil cooler on there.[/b]
The 650 H1 parts diagram shows part list no. 7 as cooler, oil. Don't think it's for the deep fryer.

When I was shopping for a new ATV, cost wasn't an issue. Number one requirement for me was reliability. Upon realizing that the Cat was powered by Suzuki, that impressed me. I've had many Suzuki products for 27 years and no problems with any of them. When I saw that the 650 was belt driven, I was disappointed with that. When I looked at the engine and noticed it's very close similarities with the 500 I concluded (possibly incorrectly but I doubt it) that the 650 H1 engine is a reworked 500. To support my suspicion, I measured the block on the 500 and it's approx. 4" across front to back. When I measured my 650 KLR engine it measured approx. 5" at the same approximate point. Now, the 650 KLR engine is designed to be a 650 from the get go. In my opinion, it has a larger block to allow for sufficient coolant capacity around the cylinder. It does not have an oil cooler. The H1 engine is dimensionally smaller than the KLR engine by quite a percentage thus, limited coolant capacity in the block. I would assume that the oil cooler on the H1 is essential to provide additional cooling that the normal cooling system cannot provide. I might be wrong but manufacturers don't add expensive and complicated parts to a machine just for the hell of it.

Unless the H1 engine was beefed up to handle the extra demands being put on it, I believe , that overall, the 500 will be a more reliable and durable engine. Time will tell.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I currently have an '05 H-1. I traded an '05 500 for it, and I don't regret it one bit. Go for the H-1! Mines been problem free. The 500 was nothing but problems.

Sprinter

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sprinter @ Jan 4 2007, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kevinbender0311 @ Jan 4 2007, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
h1 is liquid cooled, don't think that there is a oil cooler on there.[/b]

H-1's have both a radiator, and an oil cooler.

Sprinter
[/b][/quote]

I believe it's the only liquid cooled ATV in the AC lineup with an oil cooler. I certainly wish the best for the H1. I hope it's as reliable as the 500. If it is, that will mean the 500 should be nearly bullet proof, with proper maintenance of course. If they do prove to be very durable and AC decides to put one out with a manual transmission, I'd be tempted to buy one.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoopie @ Jan 2 2007, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think gwc summed it up good. I choose the 500m because of reliability and simplicity features.[/b]
[attachment=59739:post_411...70556_1_.gif] I like the 500 for the extra torque in the mud.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mississippi_mud_cat @ Jan 5 2007, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoopie @ Jan 2 2007, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think gwc summed it up good. I choose the 500m because of reliability and simplicity features.[/b]
[attachment=59739:post_411...70556_1_.gif] I like the 500 for the extra torque in the mud.
[/b][/quote]

The H1 650 will easily out-torque a 500. The down side for me is that the 650 is also an auto.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is not even a tough choice. Bigger is always better. IF you buy the 500 you will wish you had bought the H1 later. Just buy the H1 and be done with it, you will be happier in the end. Rockerdude

1 - 20 of 44 Posts