Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

stupid drive belt question

849 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  froggreen 
#1 ·
hello, i'll first explain the problem then the question but I think I've will have already answered my own question but not being all the comfortable with a sled maybe i'm wrong. (1) I'm having a problem with my drive belt turning over. In the beginning was thinking according to owners manual, oh this is a 79 a/c jag 3000 f/c, that clutch offset is out of spec. now I haven't touched anything to make this happen as far as removing clutches or anything like that. Anyhow I don't have an alignment bar tool but I do have specs. which are in owners manual. c/c seems ok with tape measure but not sure on offset don't know how to check without tool but did do some reading about parrellism of clutches and was able to place straight edge between sec. sheaves and measured front primary and i'm 3/16 short at front of primary to back of primary and under rule of x and y I should be less than 1/16???? now with that being said I believe I may have a problem there. I've checked my belt number several times and I'm using correct number, note I stated number, my belts are made or stamped by parts unlimited. now comes the question. last night for laughs thought I would measure outside circ. of belt what do I have to lose I thought and just because numbers are correct maybe it was stamped wrong, supposed to 45.5 long by 1 1/4 wide and I came up with 44.5 long and 1 1/16 wide???????? so i measured again and again and still have same measurements????? now one would think the shorter lenght would compensate for the width???? these belts do not sit raised up on secondary as I've read they should. so I guess my question is has anyone encountered problems with parts unlimited products such as belts?? should I get a good gates or dayco maybe their specs. or quality are better, or do manu. such as parts unlimited make items different to fit multi. apps. and should still functioning properly and all my problems are with clutches and not sub par belt. If so how do I correct offset / parrellism without alignment bar. any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.......

See less See more
#3 ·
Check primary moveable clutch face for a groove(s)that could be catching one side of your belt and flipping it the face should be smooth.Also check your clutch for any slop(left-right,up-down)secondary for the same,should have no movement(belt removed)Good luck.No such thing as a stupid question,that is how we learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.