Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What effect does changing which hole the secondary spring is in have on the rpms? Does it affect the way it launches as well as finish rpm. I like where mine engages but I need another 2-300 rpms up top.

·
Registered
71 Posts
By tightening your secondary spring you will be able to "cheat" a little and gains some rpm's on top. I have been told between 100-200 rpm's per hole. Your engagement is controlled by your primary spring. Major rpm changes should be done with the primary weights.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MT800mc @ Jan 16 2007, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
By tightening your secondary spring you will be able to "cheat" a little and gains some rpm's on top. I have been told between 100-200 rpm's per hole. Your engagement is controlled by your primary spring. Major rpm changes should be done with the primary weights.[/b]
If I change the weights, won't that change my engagement rpm as well? I'm going to try moving the secondary spring. If that doesn't work, I'm guessing I need a primary spring with similar initial rate and higher finish rate. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
215 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JLight @ Jan 16 2007, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MT800mc @ Jan 16 2007, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By tightening your secondary spring you will be able to "cheat" a little and gains some rpm's on top. I have been told between 100-200 rpm's per hole. Your engagement is controlled by your primary spring. Major rpm changes should be done with the primary weights.[/b]
If I change the weights, won't that change my engagement rpm as well? I'm going to try moving the secondary spring. If that doesn't work, I'm guessing I need a primary spring with similar initial rate and higher finish rate. Does that make sense?
[/b][/quote]

moving the spring one hole to the right (clockwise) will get you about 100 rpms. don't go past the middle hole, it will just slow you down on top.
if you can't get what you need with the secondary spring, go with a primary spring with a slightly higher finish force.
helix finish angle also contributes towards peak rpms. if your running the stock helix, get a muliti-angle, it will improve performance a lot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I am running 53g weights with a yellow/white primary spring, 60/48 helix with red/white secondary spring in the middle hole. I tried the orange/white primary spring but it engaged too high (5500). I also have a 58/50 helix, would that help at all?

Right now it is engaging around 5000 but hangs around 7800 rpms until I get over 80mph. The climb from 70 to 80 takes forever. I'm shooting for about 8200-8300 rpms but 8000 would work.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Weights are fine, helix is fine, secondary spring is fine but a little light for my liking. Primary spring is a little light for my tastes as well. I'm with Ed (once again) in that you need a primary spring with the same start rate to maintain the engagement you like, but a higher finish rate. Even with what you have though you should be closer to required RPM's then where your at. Have you gone through your clutches completely? Is anything hanging up? Are the weight bushings and weights worn? How about clutch alignment and belt deflection, are they set right? You might be upshifting too fast in which case you need to a shallower start angle on the helix, or stiffer rate on the secondary spring.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The primary is completely brand new except for the spring. The helix and spring were already in the secondary. I'm up from 49.5g in the primary because the thing over-revved bad last year. When I tore it apart the weights were really worn and were wearing into the spider, so I replaced the whole thing. I don't know how to check alignment or belt deflection but my clutches are not getting warm even with long runs on the rail beds. I think I'm going to tighten my secondary and see what happens. Is there a problem with running it in the 5th hole (full tight)? Also does anyone make a red secondary spring? My sled came with a D&D helix but the primary still had all the stock parts in it? The secondary spring is red and I don't see any white but a lot of the paint is flaked off. I just assumed it was a AC red/white.

·
Registered
215 Posts
moving the secondary to the 5th hole will give you more rpms but won't make you faster. if anything it will make you slower after a few hundred feet.
put the secondary back to the middle, then either shave some weight off or change to a primary with higher finish rate. goodwin's blue spring (140-310) might give you the rpms you need without touching the 53g weights.
i don't know why you're sled was engaging so high with the o/w cat spring. when i tried that spring with 52.5g wts i was engaging at 4700.
did you keep the o/w in the sled for a while or remove it immediately? sometimes engagement will drop a few hundred rpms after the spring gets some wear on it.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edsled @ Jan 17 2007, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
moving the secondary to the 5th hole will give you more rpms but won't make you faster. if anything it will make you slower after a few hundred feet.
put the secondary back to the middle, then either shave some weight off or change to a primary with higher finish rate. goodwin's blue spring (140-310) might give you the rpms you need without touching the 53g weights.
i don't know why you're sled was engaging so high with the o/w cat spring. when i tried that spring with 52.5g wts i was engaging at 4700.
did you keep the o/w in the sled for a while or remove it immediately? sometimes engagement will drop a few hundred rpms after the spring gets some wear on it.[/b]
Yeah, I too was wondering about the engagement with the Orange, especially with 53's. That's one of the reasons I asked about the other clutching stuff. I always had good luck with the Orange and 50 something weights.

Agree too on "setting" a spring.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Orange/White was removed immediately. I'll throw it back in and put a few miles on her. Thanks for the help guys. I'm not trying to make it faster, I just want a clutch setup for the trail with reasonable engagement that will get me to 90 mph without a huge deadspot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts