Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one here ever put snowmobile studs in their tires. i heard of a guy that did it and said that they were great in the snow. since i'm going to be getting some new tires sometime i was thinking of throwing some studs in my stock tires, to use during the winter.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Can't say that I have ever heard of anyone doing this, but it shouldn't couldn't make the stockers any worse than they already are! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Worth a try man! Let us know how it turns out. Has to be cheaper than the 100$ set of chains I bought.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Studded my tires this winter... Went to the hardware store and bought a box of 1/4"x 3/8" sheet metal screws... worked great!! mind you I didn't drive it Balls out...just back and forth to do a little fishin'...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I believe that the stockers would be to plyable for the studs and the tire would just tear. I could be wrong but it seems it would take a 6 ply tire to hold up to the stress.

Reactions: 1 person

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I've put snowmobile studs in a wheeler tire before, you have to put a liner in before the tube to make it work good on top of the studs. Did it on an old tri-moto Yami years ago and it worked pretty good... When I had my 88 Honda 250R Fourtrax I put a couple hundred ice racing screws in the tires and they hooked up really good on glare ice but not much in the snow

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
On old machines i've had I used Ice Screws that I ordered from Dennis Kirk they held up better than sheet metal screws, they were 100 - 7/16 inch screws for $16-$18 i think

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bullridin_fool @ Jan 28 2007, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
has any one here ever put snowmobile studs in their tires. i heard of a guy that did it and said that they were great in the snow. since i'm going to be getting some new tires sometime i was thinking of throwing some studs in my stock tires, to use during the winter.[/b]
You can use sled studs... If you want to avoid the use of an inner tube, you need to use concave 'dished' head push-through studs like Woody's Gold Diggers, and coat with liquid rubber bead sealer before you insert them.

Another tip I got (but haven't tried) is to not drill holes in the tires with a punch as you would on a snowmobile track. Use an awl to poke a hole through, and use the nut & backer to tighten things up. The reason for this was to avoid cutting critical tire cords needed to keep the tire round/true and strong.

I studded my tires last winter, but I used Halliday Ice Racing studs left over from when I had the ice racing bikes. They're hardened hex heads, but are unique because the outer hex edge is taller and very sharp. Tires grip the ice with velcro-like traction.

In the pic below, note the concave dished head. With a bit of bead sealer under the head, and a proper backer on the outside to match the stud head, air leaks can be reliably prevented.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (650boy @ Mar 16 2007, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is it hard to do though. Like you have to take the tire off and then get a tube and this and that. Is it worth it?[/b]
I wrote explaining if you use the right kind of studs that seal air, you don't need a tube.

Yes, you need to re & re the tire on/off the rim. But it's worth it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts