Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much torque do u put on a stud? i heard 15 ft. lbs. that is not alot. what hapens when u over torque. i have a motormaster electric impact that goes to 1050 in. lbs, witch is around 87ft lbs. last time i have used a air ratchet, and went to the gun almost gave out. over 1000 studs and never one came loose until now. i use lock tight. i see some are coming loose, so i bought heaver nuts, and i am going to do all the studs over with red lock tight, but i wonder about torque?

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
I use air tools, and tighten the nut until the stud base sucks up as well ... get it flush with the track. I have done this for several sleds and have yet to see one come loose. Broken or bent studs is a different story, but none of them have backed out. My F8 was a little different due to the quiet track. I came up with my own pattern, and didn't realize where I added some of my doubles it actually went into the "quiet track wedges". The base of the studs for those areas aren't quite flush, but I've got over 300 miles and no signs of problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
hey... i went away this past weekend and im going away again tomorrow and i was chekcing my sled over and noticed i borke 2 of my studs its a snopro with the longer studs but also one of my stud and backer was totally missing but it didnt rip the track is this common?

·
Registered
262 Posts
the nut came off and your stud fell out..thats all, happens to everybody that doesn't tighten them up right, or use locktight

·
Registered
331 Posts
did you have the tall nuts on your sled with the sno-pro track? if the stud breaks off at the bas and not at the nut that might explain why the whole stud and backer is gone without ripping the track. consider yourself lucky that it happened that way and didn't rip the track. i have always used a 3/8 air ratchet and ran off a small air compressor and usually you just go til it quits and give it another half turn. that puts it right about where it needs to be sucked into the track.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
went over my studs. none where at 15 lbs. replace 8, 1 was ripped out, and i torqued all the nuts to about 18 lbs!! hope that works. from now on, i wont trust my air tools, spend the hour and torque them!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts