Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any tricks for getting a stubborn secondary off? I have tried heating up the jackshaft and using 2X4's as a pry bar but she is really on there. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks a million

·
Registered
87 Posts
Arctic cat makes a puller for the secondary but it will only pull so much before you ruin the secondary and/or the puller.

If the puller won't get it off pull the whole jackshaft out and put it in a press.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard bad things about the secondary puller, so I think I am going to make some jack bolts and see if I can get it off that way. That thing is so stuck I dont think a puller would work anyway. If I take the jack shaft off I just have to take the top gear off right?? Thanks for the input
Not worthy:

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you are going to pull the jack shaft out with the secondary on it, you need to pull cover on gear case, remove upper and lower gears with chain together. Behind the secondary is a plate that holds the bearing in place, it will have two or three bolts. Then you have to loosen the lock collar on the jack shaft. to do this you must lossen the set screw in the collar, then use a punch and hammer to rotate the collar. I think it can go either way. (not sure on this) Once this is done it should come out. If you need to look at a diagram of this go to arcticcat.com, click on snowmobile link, click on ez search parts lookup, type in zr 500 in model name/number, click on year and model of your sled, look to right side of page and click illustrated parts list, once window opens click on drive train shafts and brake assemblies. This will give the part numbers and a pic of how the go together. Hopes this helps you out.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
I guess I got lucky the last one I had to pull I just sprayed PB Blaster on it and after awhile it came off then you clean up the blaster mess but don't get that on your paint sometimes it doesn't like paint.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys,

I ended up pulling the jackshaft out. It wasn't too bad except for the bearing support motor mount on the secondary side. It would have helped to have another guy to help hold the bolts under the tunnel. Also the very front bolt for the mount was a real biatch to get a wrench on. bang your head I did a little cut job with my sawzall. That helped. Also noticed the O ring for the gear box bearing was ripped in half. I think I will silicone it and double up on the o ring when I put it back together. I brought the shaft to work with me today so I will press it off and Never seize the hell out of it. Once again thanks guys.

:site:

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JohnLarson5 @ Jan 26 2007, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks Guys,

I ended up pulling the jackshaft out. It wasn't too bad except for the bearing support motor mount on the secondary side. It would have helped to have another guy to help hold the bolts under the tunnel. Also the very front bolt for the mount was a real biatch to get a wrench on. bang your head I did a little cut job with my sawzall. That helped. Also noticed the O ring for the gear box bearing was ripped in half. I think I will silicone it and double up on the o ring when I put it back together. I brought the shaft to work with me today so I will press it off and Never seize the hell out of it. Once again thanks guys.

:site:[/b]

watch your never seize I did that a few years ago and had it everywhere the first time I started it and that stuff is a pain to get off of things. good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts