Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of returning the '96 ZRT 600 to stock, and I need to yank the secondary to go back to the stock spring and helix and replace the buttons. The bolt came out no porblem, but the clutch itself is stuck pretty tight. I pried a little with a stick of wood, but not too much. I know they make a secondary puller, I have never used or even seen one. Never had to deal with one that is this stuck. Anybody have any thoughts? Would a regular 3-jaw puller work or is that too risky? I appreciate any thoughts/tips anybody has.
Thanks-
Greg

·
Registered
154 Posts
i had to torch my clutch off, but im sure yours isnt as tight as mine was. Anyways tilt your sled up on its side to the right and fill the hole where your bolt came out of with a good penetrating oil"honey goo or something" and let it sit over night and try agian. if not apply a little bit of heat to the backside of the clutch on the collar and giver it a few taps with a rubber mallet and it should pop off. if that dosnt work, just drive it for a bit and get it loosened up with the vibration from the sled.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If that doesnt work you can do it the long way which you will have to remove the jackshaft from the sled and use a press to push it off,the cat puller does use the 3 studs on the driven much like your 3 jaw puller would do

·
Registered
52 Posts
Same thing happened with my girlfriends 2001 ZL 550. My buddy is a cat dealer so I borrowed his puller and it still wouldn't come off. If you just want to change the spring, helix, and rollers you can doo all that with the clutch on the sled. It is kind of a pain in the a$$ but I was able to do it so it is possible. To make it a little easier you could pull that side of the belly pan off to give you more room to work. My dealer told me that on some sleds the only answer is to cut the jack shaft and replace it and the secondary. I would try to do the work while it is on the sled first though.

·
Registered
978 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
My dealer told me that on some sleds the only answer is to cut the jack shaft and replace it and the secondary[/b]
Been there done that.

HAVE FUN!

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nd4spd @ Dec 30 2006, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i had to torch my clutch off, but im sure yours isnt as tight as mine was. Anyways tilt your sled up on its side to the right and fill the hole where your bolt came out of with a good penetrating oil"honey goo or something" and let it sit over night and try agian. if not apply a little bit of heat to the backside of the clutch on the collar and giver it a few taps with a rubber mallet and it should pop off. if that dosnt work, just drive it for a bit and get it loosened up with the vibration from the sled.[/b]
try this first, EMPHASIZING holeshot after holeshot,,,,, if not, do not use a ''jaw'' type puller (your sheave will be damaged), instead use cats tool or get a harmonic balancer puller and 3 adaptors to lengthen the studs,, overall it'll be cheaper than cats tool for this operation IMO

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, no go on the harmonic balancer puller. Can't get it to line up properly. I will keep soaking and tapping on it, and when I get the skid installed I can try to run it a little. I am also trying some heat periodically. I may just have to break down and buy a puller....
Thanks, all-
Greg

·
Registered
154 Posts
i have the arctic cat puller tool if your interested. i bought it and used it and now have no use for it. let me know if ur interested.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As long as it will work on my '96 ZRT, I'll take it. Let me know what you would want for it, plus what you think for shipping to W. St. Paul, MN ZIP Code 55118. You can shoot me a PM through the site or email me direct at [email protected]. I can send you a check or PayPal, whatever you prefer.
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you are able to get the key way out put the bolt on loosly and go for a small ride. worked for me one time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
S2H,

You should post the dealers name who told you that some jackshafts need to be cut and replace secondary and shaft. We would'nt want anybody else to go there and get ripped off.

We remove stuck secondarys all the time. Sometimes you can tap it with a dead blow and it will come off. Sometimes the puller from Cat works and sometimes you take the shaft out of the machine and press it off. And never have we had to replace the secondary or the shaft.

The only one on here that mentioned pressing it off was 900geek and all the other posts just keep rattling on about cutting it off or putting goat piss on it. Quit looking for your magic wand and get it done.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (This_ain @ Jan 4 2007, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
S2H,

You should post the dealers name who told you that some jackshafts need to be cut and replace secondary and shaft. We would'nt want anybody else to go there and get ripped off.

We remove stuck secondarys all the time. Sometimes you can tap it with a dead blow and it will come off. Sometimes the puller from Cat works and sometimes you take the shaft out of the machine and press it off. And never have we had to replace the secondary or the shaft.

The only one on here that mentioned pressing it off was 900geek and all the other posts just keep rattling on about cutting it off or putting goat piss on it. Quit looking for your magic wand and get it done.[/b]
:oops: did we forget something??

the others are just trying to help the guy save some cash,,,, maybe he isn't into doing that himself,, why not post the ''shop'' you are ''in'', that way others can avoid your attitude, I mean, afterall, it's not like we have any major snow EVERYWHERE,, maybe he isn't in a huge hurry, let him decide,,

thank you for YOUR TIME,, :thumbsup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok maybe that last line was a little harsh but I'll stick with what I said about the dealer.

I think even you and I can agree that cutting it off won't save any money.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (This_ain @ Jan 4 2007, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok maybe that last line was a little harsh but I'll stick with what I said about the dealer.

I think even you and I can agree that cutting it off won't save any money.[/b]
Much like cutting & wasting a jackshaft, harshness doesn't work either. Harsh replies are very expensive in terms of character reputation and respect.

How about taking it easy on all of us? I would like to suggest posting stuff that at least makes you appear you're a nice guy instead. Maybe people will take your advice more seriously if they enjoy reading your posts/advice. That should work better, shouldn't it?

Thank me for my time. ;) :lol:

:chug:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^^^Well put C-Note!! You are exactly right, since there is no snow, I am not in a real big hurry. I keep at it a little at a time. If need be, I could have the entire sled ride-able in less than an hour, I am just putzing with stuff to keep from going insane with the lack of snow.
I appreciate (almost) everyone's help, I'll let you all know what finally ends up working.
Keep smilin-
Greg

·
Registered
87 Posts
I guess I really don't care if you think I'm a nice guy or if you respect me. I have been around snowmobiles since the start and I DO CARE about the sport in general and hate to see people ask questions on these forums and get a thousand diff answers as to what might be wrong with the sled. Parts are expensive and it just burns me to see people buying a bunch of parts they "think" they "might" need.

I never said I know all the answers but if I see a post that gets a bunch of "shade tree mechanic" remedies, and I have the answers, I'll tell you what I think. I'll try to keep the sarcasim to a minumum.

It don't matter to me what moderators think and say about my style. What matters to me is that sledders get thier machines fixed as quick and painless as possible.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (indygreg @ Jan 4 2007, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
^^^^^Well put C-Note!! You are exactly right, since there is no snow, I am not in a real big hurry. I keep at it a little at a time. If need be, I could have the entire sled ride-able in less than an hour, I am just putzing with stuff to keep from going insane with the lack of snow.
I appreciate (almost) everyone's help, I'll let you all know what finally ends up working.
Keep smilin-
Greg[/b]
PM

1 - 20 of 33 Posts