Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I had the family and a buddy down in a river bottom playing around. During one of the crossings my buddy got his old Kawi stuck in the middle of the river in this very very fine sand. I went around with the snatch strap to pull him out and proceeded to bury mine as well. We finally got his out by hand and then used it as an anchor to winch mine out. We were a bit nervous for awile :D . My question is, is it best to ease it out very slowly in sand (power wise) as opposed to mud where you would want to use all the power to clear out the tires? I know my tires suck (stock) but I'm just asking in general. I probably should have aired down the tires too. I was probably running 6 PSI in all four. Any advice about navigating sand would be appreciated.

Krafty
2007 650H1 TRV

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
In sand the best thing to do is to go slow, you do not want to spin your tires because you would just sink in the sand if you are spinning. The best thing to do is get a set of wider tires, 12s out back and 10s up front would allow for more surface area and thus reduce the chances of burying your machine.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Speed is good if you got a nice clear path, but once you start digging in deep go nice and slow when you are in that silt and sand creek bottoms. I try to get off my bike when it digs in to the "critical" point and try to walk along with it while giving it just enough gas to go. It's tricky stuff to play in.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
the advice so far is good, almost all my riding is sand bottom river or sandy river bottom. some of the stuff out back here you go past your knee's if you try to step in it. wide tires and as little air as you can run, i run 1 psi front and 0 rear in my bugs (which are a great sand tire). when you go down get off and grab the rack, if your in deep water the quad will pop. slow wheelspeed is the key to not going down.
[attachment=138802:AC_3.jpg]
i was able to work out of this hole by grabbing the rack and working the quad to the side until it got back on top.

a few years back my toyota went down back in the river, my blazer (missing the front driveshaft) went down pulling it out, my cousin came with his kubota and went down to. we pried the tractor out with logs and left the trucks overnight (very nervous about that). next morning went to TSC and bought a highlift, put some plywood and 2x12's under the jack and got logs under the toyota tires and drove out, a quick yank on the blazer busted a front tire off the bead and bent the frame on both trucks a little. another thing that can happen (did it to the toyota and heard of many quads doing it) is if a rock in the sand gets jammed in between the brakes and wheel while spinning under, it'll rip the caliper right off or bust the wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Adam B. @ Nov 9 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Speed is good if you got a nice clear path, but once you start digging in deep go nice and slow when you are in that silt and sand creek bottoms. I try to get off my bike when it digs in to the "critical" point and try to walk along with it while giving it just enough gas to go. It's tricky stuff to play in.[/b]
very good advice imo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts