Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and looking for some help from the pros. I recently picked up a 2000 AC 400 4x4 manual shift quad. I got it dirt cheap because a truck had hit the front right wheel hard enough to brake the ball joints and taco the rim. I've got all that fixed, but just realized the manual shift tranny won't shift out of first gear. The shifter is free and moves like normal and will operate the auto clutch but it won't shift it out of first. I've tried it with the engine off and running and with all the wheels in the air. Hi and Low range works, but thats all. The motor runs fine, has plenty of oil, and the idle is low enough to shift. I know that more than likely its a bent shift fork. If that's the case I'll probably part it out because i don't want to put the time and money into splitting the case. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions of what it could be besides a bent shift fork? I've been in plenty of transmissions, just not an AC tranny (yet), so looking for advice from guys that have been in one before.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Try rocking it back and forth. Also make sure the reverse lever isn't engaged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have rocked it back and forth with no luck. It is in forward and won't shift into reverse because I can't get it in neutral. Is it possible that it won't shift out of first because the forward/reverse lever needs adjusting?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Thanks. I have rocked it back and forth with no luck. It is in forward and won't shift into reverse because I can't get it in neutral. Is it possible that it won't shift out of first because the forward/reverse lever needs adjusting?
Yes if the reverse shifter is out of adjustment it could be trying to kick it into reverse. Have you tried manually shifting it by trying to turn the shaft that comes out of the motor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Humecat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, unfortunately that didn't change anything. The lever moves freely but it's still stuck in gear. What about the shifting mechanisms on the right and left side of the crankcase? Is it possible some of the internal shifting mechanism could be bent, not allowing it to rotate the shift drum far enough to change gears? Or is this pretty unlikely? I guess my next step is to start taking it apart and look for bent pieces.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the problem! Started to tear down the engine and behind the clutch I found the little spring on the shift mechanism was broke. Now I have gears!
However in piulling the centrifugal clutch off, the one way bearing hit the floor and the bearings went everywhere. I found them all, but can't find any diagrams or post on the correct way to reassemble it. Does anyone have a picture or diagram showing how to reassemble the bearing?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Glad you found the problem. Try going to countrycat.net for a parts diagram.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found the problem! Started to tear down the engine and behind the clutch I found the little spring on the shift mechanism was broke. Now I have gears!
However in piulling the centrifugal clutch off, the one way bearing hit the floor and the bearings went everywhere. I found them all, but can't find any diagrams or post on the correct way to reassemble it. Does anyone have a picture or diagram showing how to reassemble the bearing?
Humecat - Stuck in First - I have the same problem. So I need to take apart the engine? Any suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts