Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am stripping the decals off my zrt tommorow :p. I want it completely black. I plan to take the seat off and sand blast the tunnel while im at it, and polish that down. Figured why not start it now incase I want to sell it for a newer one later on. My bro was interested in it today when he came over anyway :p. I let him take it for a ride around the few remaining snow drifts. He of course loved it. I told him I might be selling it anyways so hes pretty interested in it. But I almost forgot, if I need to but doubt I will, how do I go about painting the plastic hood :*(? I think it would need some special paint would it? I may have to incase the paint under the decals isnt the same color due to fading or something.

Update: Here are the pictures, now its not total finished it still needs to be buffed and have the tunnels few scratches removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
to strip the decals just heat them up with a hair dryer or heat gun and carefully pull them off. as for the paint thing just take your hood in to an autobody paint shop and get it painted.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was hoping to do it at home cause we got all the proper tools and closed off area to do it in, but my brothers friend said he will do it for me just for the cost of the materials :p.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I decided to check out the look with a picture of my sled but I edited out the decals. The hood decals covered over nice but the tunnel didnt look to hot :p but u can see the main points. I think its gonna look bad azz.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
To remove decals just heat up with blow dryer and peel like everyone else said, then go to a meijers or autozone or whatever and get some wax and grease remover in a can in the paint section and use that on a white rag to remove any glue then just re wax the surface. Once you pull the decals Im willing to bet you will not have to paint it... However if for some reason you do want to paint, you may want consider having someone who knows how to paint do it in a garage, or take it to a collision shop or paint shop. The hood is gel coated from the factory not paint, and if there are some spots underneath the decals that need paint, the whole hood would have to be sanded, prepped, painted, and cleared.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I am done with it, it looks completely bad ass. Its pure black all around, except one small 1/2 green strip in the direct middle of the side where the hood meets the side panels. Also while taking off the decals on the tunnel I stumbled upon the fact it peeled down to the clear aluminum without a scratch on it. So I figured, wth why not do the tunnel now. So I stripped the whole tunnel of paint and the footrest of the purple paint. I love how it turned out. I just got done and my dads camera phone doesnt have flash so I will take the pics tommorow. I just love how it turned out, and for anyone who is looking to do it, DO IT!!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and I had some spots where I need to take a scrapper to get out tiny pieces, it left some bad looking scratchs on the tunnel alumnium. How do I go about getting ride of them? It looks great from a distance but upclose it looks bad ;P.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Here is my old 97 ZRT 600 before I sold it.

AGLT Mod
Steering Post moved Forward, ect, ect.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Looking good, one suggestion though, remove all the purple and try to find some plastic skis.

Z-Rider

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya once I gather up some more money imma get some black idler wheels, the new skis, new track, and remove the purplish blue strip on the foot rest. Its werid cause in the pic it looks purple but its actually blue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts