Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bang your head Not sure if anyone has run into this. Went to put the plow back on last nite and it slipped off the pegs underneath. Thought that maybe just did not latch them correctly so laid in the snow and rehooked. Guess what? popped right off again. Brought it in the barn and found the 2 bolts that attatch the floor board and the plow mount to the frame on the right side loose. Went to tighten up and just kept spinning, by hand not with an impact bang your head bang your head . Ended up tapping out threaded insert to 7/16 and loctite the threads. Just weird that the floorboard never felt loose, but the plow bracket was able to wiggle around.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I had one of the nuts (welded inside of frame) break off on me - got it tightened back up by holding it with a screw driver.
Not the best setup in my opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just found one side of my 500 mounts was loose also from my plow also. I caught it in time. Didn't strip the threads out thankfully.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek: Was thinking, I had used to Cat and the plow to push around a bunch of dirt this summer. Probably a little harder than snow to move around.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just plowed three long driveways worth of icy snow yesterday. Gave the Kitty a good workout!

Which bolts are you guys talking about? I'd better check them out.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I can tell ya one thing those plow bolts are longer than the stock ones so be careful when you pull the plow mount off as they will bottom out and strip/ break loose the welded nut. So the bottom line is save the original bolts and remember to reuse them when the plow mount is removed from the floor boards.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Catmandooo @ Jan 16 2007, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can tell ya one thing those plow bolts are longer than the stock ones so be careful when you pull the plow mount off as they will bottom out and strip/ break loose the welded nut. So the bottom line is save the original bolts and remember to reuse them when the plow mount is removed from the floor boards.[/b]
It's all making sense now - that would be why the one nut busted off than - the dealer installed the plow mounts for me when I bought the bike and I never got the original bolts. I have removed them before just to not bend them when off roading and I'm sure thats why the one broke off.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BriN747 @ Jan 16 2007, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just plowed three long driveways worth of icy snow yesterday. Gave the Kitty a good workout!

Which bolts are you guys talking about? I'd better check them out.[/b]

There are 2 10 mm fine pitch bolts that mount the floorboard to the frame and the plow mount also. The Cat plow sandwich the floorboard mounts between frame

·
Registered
322 Posts
i lost the weld on one of my nuts too.. got my buddy to reweld it, have to be careful cause you don't want to weld the nut to the bolt.

I'm just waiting on the other nuts to start breaking off as well. Very hard to get at with the plow mount on because to curls under and partially covers up the access for these nuts

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Barnzilla @ Jan 16 2007, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Catmandooo @ Jan 16 2007, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can tell ya one thing those plow bolts are longer than the stock ones so be careful when you pull the plow mount off as they will bottom out and strip/ break loose the welded nut. So the bottom line is save the original bolts and remember to reuse them when the plow mount is removed from the floor boards.[/b]
It's all making sense now - that would be why the one nut busted off than - the dealer installed the plow mounts for me when I bought the bike and I never got the original bolts. I have removed them before just to not bend them when off roading and I'm sure thats why the one broke off.

Thanks for the info.
[/b][/quote]

The Dealer never gave me the stock bolts either, just went to the hardware store and got shorter ones

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
If you guys don't have the originals you could use some washers to make up the difference. My dealer tipped me off to the different length bolts when I bought the plow setup, the dealer also suggested not to install the mounts till the winter and thats why I have my original bolts.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
had a similar problem with my old 400 had to clean up the threads. found that it is easier to unbolt the front fender support while trying to line up the two main bolts, also used a floor jack.

after giving it some thought i decided to just leave the mounts on the wifes 500 year round instead of messing with it twice a year. i just told her to remember when going over something big but to date she hasn't had any problems with it hitting.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had the same thing with mine ..had to get two nuts welded on the left side.. this spring I am going to
take the mounts off.......
SM Cat :snow:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive never had mine off untill now. Cat was on the showroom floor wth the plow on it when I bought it. " extra stuff-extra profit? " Never ran into a problem with clearance's.

·
Registered
322 Posts
wow, no probs with clearance? you driving in the prairies only.. those mounts hang down a good 1/5 inches...

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm leaving my mounts on for winter but definitely taking them off for summer. I have been hung up on them going over logs and stuff a few times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts