Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can make a prowler legal to operate on the street? I live in south west lower michigan and wonder if it is possible. I am told it is but can,t get clear info on what to do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
my 07 prowler is street legal here in arizona, whats required here in arizona is a horn, license plate lite, a mirror and proof of insurance when stoped by police or sheriff, i've installed a 6 panel mirror cost was $20 from checker auto parts, horn and horn bottom $15, and the lite was $6, cost was less than $50, their's no dmv inspection here, all there is to it is pay the licence fees, on my prowler it was $158, my insurance full coveage is $108 a year. the only streets we're not allowed to drive on limited access roads (freeways).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, here is AZ it is a motorcycle plate, confusing but it works. The only item not listed is DOT approved tires if the officer gets picky. Somewhere I remember a statement about OHVs that are street licenced should be considered for limited use to travel streets and highways but can't remember if it is in the handbook or ? Where I live it is very busy and I choose not to take too many chances, having been a motorcycle rider for too long.

Ron
Mesa,AZ

·
Registered
106 Posts
on the m/c license we can ride everywhere except freeways, goft carts are resistive to roads 35mph or less. i've ridden on az hwy 95 2 lanes in each direction with center lane and have been past by highway patrol and once by a sheriff, in lake havasu it's not usual to see a haft a dozen ruv's driving around at any given time, all ages. as far as tires that's a gray area, their's really nothing stating they're illegal,but i guess if you piss off the cop for some reason he could write you up, when i need to replace my tires i'm going to put on truck tires 27x9.5x14. i think that should work out for me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone, I hope there is someone from Michigan who will see this so I can get more info for my area. Maybe I will just have to ask one of the cops who lives near me. I just don't want to get in to trouble because I have one cousin who is a county K-9 officer, and another who is a sargent. Plus my daughter goes to school with a girl whos dad is a county officer, and the rest of the guys who patrol my area know me because they sit at the bottom of my driveway when they do radar on the road that runs past my house and we always bring them cold pop to drink in the summer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Then ask one of them, it sounds like they should know. You can do it in Mi. but you need more than the guys out west do. It's about $2k to &2500 Michigan blows when it comes to these types of things. Post here what they tell ya.

Hooperdog

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was looking into doing the same thing so I could drive it anywhere in MI. I contacted the state of MI about it. They told me where to find a form called TR-54 form. This form has all the things required to make the prowler street lagal. Once you do all the requirements to the prowler you then take it to a sheriff department and they go thru the ckeck list and sign off. Then you can take the form to the DMV and get your lisence plate for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is legal in Montana. All I have to have is a horn and a mirror and either put on a license plate light or put the license plate somewhere another light will shine on it(Taillight). All ATVs are licensed as motorcycles in Montana too. I've been pulled over on an ATV with off road tires and never got any crap for it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
in new york the prowler is cosidered a "farm vehicle " if certain conditions are met;
- get a slow moving vehicle triangle
- flashing rearamber light
- operate under 25 mpg
- weight over 1000 lbs
- rearview mirror
- horn

i did this and can operate it on all secondary roads withot a problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts