Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i broke a 57/50 helix, was going to buy a new one at the cat shop, he ask me if i want a stock one or an over drive one, whats the diffrents in the helix to make them go into over drive, plus the cost it a little more, do i need a over drive helix??

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'll guess your buying one for your 03 z440 sp ??

The stock helix was a 53 degree but the one you broke is a 57/50 degree... they refer to multiple angle helix's as overdrive and they do cost a little more.

myself I would check e-bay or craigslist alot of people buy ( like myself ) helix's before they understand truly what clutching is all about... I'am no expert but have gotten alot of great information from several members.

Mike

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
How much can you expect to get from this mod in MPH? Is the .060-.080 the standard cut size on all covers or does it vary?

·
Banned
388 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Anytime secondary stops shifting before primary, hell is sure to follow. :D Get the notched (overdrive) helix if you can't machine the cover.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I understand what overdrive is, but how can I tell if I'm actually using all of the helix and going into an overdrive configuration?? I've been looking for witness marks on the helix, but I can't see anything conclusive.

I've got D&D's trail clutching (the helix does have reliefs for overdrive) and trail pipes in my ZRT8, and I dropped a tooth on the top sprocket from stock. I'm turning just a hair over 9000rpms when maxed out across a lake, and that's with 192 trail picks in a 1 inch track. Does this help?

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
9000 is too high. Should be around 8600. I am sure someone knows for sure.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I believe D&D's spec sheet said 8800. Regardless, I realize it's still too high. I know I can change the torsional preload on the secondary spring and bring the rpms down, but how does that affect the front clutch and my overall gearing? I'm just trying to understand this, rather than making blind changes...

·
Registered
656 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (big thunder @ Nov 15 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ventura, what kind of weight are you running in the primary? You may need to throw some more at it. chflagwv:[/b]

Not sure - do D&D's kits have the actual weight stamped on the primary weights? I'll take a look if so. Also, would profile play any part in this?

TBH, I'd be a bit surprised if the right clutching was far off from what they sold me. My motor is pretty much stock, save for their pipes, an SLP airbox, 3 degree timing key and jetting to match. Nothing internal.

·
Registered
656 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (big thunder @ Nov 15 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ventura, what kind of weight are you running in the primary? You may need to throw some more at it. chflagwv:[/b]

Actually, just thinking about this: what would be the difference between heavier weights, versus just changing secondary spring tension? The goal is to bring rpms down, but are these two different ways to do it? Seems to me that adding weight would also bring the engagement rpm down as well, which would require a heavier primary spring, blah blah blah.

I'm assuming heavier weight would make the primary engage and shift more aggressively, but that's not what I'm looking for (I don't think...) since I'me already traction-limited. Am I on track here??

·
Registered
205 Posts
We generally use the Polaris 10-series weights with good results, such as 10-62 etc. If i find an over-rev condition, with a particular setup, i will then try heavier weight, and take it from there. In a pinch one can relocate the spring in the secondary, when changing weights etc., is not possible. I have found that some of the clutch kits are not what they are cracked up to be. :chug:

·
Registered
976 Posts
It will "fine tune the peak rpm by about 200 rpm per hole. It does this by allowing a faster (less tension) or slower (more tension) shift with a given helix angle.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Okay - that's what I thought. Then in my case, I think that's what I'm going start off with, rather than change my entire primary setup.

Question: will this have a negative effect on my backshift if I take off some of the torsional preload on the secondary spring? Or is backshift more a function of the secondary spring's compression rate?

Thanks for the help guys - this is finally starting to make sense...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts