Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic title speaks for itself.

Honest to God, Arctic Cat, did you test these things... these new, state of the art SNOWmobiles... IN THE FREAKING SNOW?!?!?!?!?

Our very first good snow here – way back in mid December – my first trip out with my new F1000, the air intake (on the right side of the hood just below the windshield) was getting plugged up and causing the sled to run VERY poorly, but I thought maybe it was just a rare fluke and didn't worry much about it for the next month and half... largely because we had little to no snow for the next month and a half.

Well, we FINALLY have some REAL snow again (more than four inches deep for a change), and thought we'd spend the day mostly playing in the snow going cross country. What SHOULD'VE been a fun day of riding, turned out to be a royal pain in the ass. During turns, the snow from the right ski (same for the left ski for those that have the LH airbox mod) is thrown directly INTO the air intake, plugging it and/or icing up in very short order, causing the sled to run PIG RICH, barely idles, loads-up something terrible, and can't even go past 1/2 - 3/4 throttle without the sled wanting to completely choke itself and die while starving for air. Great having a big, bad 1000cc 160ish hp sled that's lucky to be putting out 100 hp thanks to a choked off air intake... an air intake that's supposedly too restrictive to begin with!

I tried to BLOW it out, but no luck... not to mention how fun it is to have to take helmet gear and junk off @ zero degrees.

Tried to PICK it out with a small allen wrench, then with a coffee stir stick, but not much luck with that either.

Ended up the best I could do, was to just hit... I mean POUND the grated hood intake area to bust some of it loose in hopes it might fall out on its own, but that only helped slightly until it got plugged up again. Not very impressive to my buds – on other brands – watching me beat my new $10,000 SNOWmobile in hopes that it might run HALF as good as some of the older stuff they were riding... and having ZERO issues with plugged air intakes BTW. Shoulda' heard the pantyhose jokes/ideas that were being tossed around!

If you haven't had this problem yet on your new F... you will sooner or later... unless you never take it off trail or in any amount of real snow.

I'm really, truly hoping, that Cat will step up to the plate and address this really poor and unacceptable design — and the sooner the better.

Any good ideas???

Sorry, for you guys that don't like these kinds of posts, but this just really took the fun and enjoyment out of today's ride. – Roy

·
Registered
934 Posts
Is there anyway to cut the grated part out of the center of that cap? I assume you need the piece to hold in the part of the windshield or something, so can you just cut the center out of it? If so, this may help to cure the plugging issue. That said, I know the last thing that you want to do is start cutting any part of your new sled, but it may be the only way to fix the problem until Cat does something (if they do anything).

To add to this, instead of using bullseyes, the speedwerx intake (I believe its speedwerx) is more the style like the crossfires. This has no hard edges for the snow to grab onto and is has a larger area for the air to enter through, so you should plug up less.

Just throwing some things out there. I dunno

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MacEng, believe me, I was mad enough that I DID think very seriously yesterday about cutting out the grated plastic cover during our lunch break, but I decided to wait, not knowing how the thin filter membrane was held in place.

I've got the Speedwerx intake, but haven't installed it yet. Having two intakes should HELP the problem a bit, but it'll still be prone to plugging up behind the grating just like the right side does. Thanks for a few ideas. – Roy

·
Registered
76 Posts
spray the grate with some 3m adhesive spray and cut a piece of the black nylon window screening to fit the shape of the grate and stick it on the outside of the vent? at least then you can wipe it off if it does plug.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flamin @ Feb 5 2007, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
spray the grate with some 3m adhesive spray and cut a piece of the black nylon window screening to fit the shape of the grate and stick it on the outside of the vent? at least then you can wipe it off if it does plug.[/b]
Not a bad idea there FF.

I looked at the M sleds (and Crossfires too I believe) with their exposed air intake filter material, and I think something like that is probably going to be the best fix. Maybe someone at Cat is coming up with something even as I type this! – Roy

·
Registered
135 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Feb 5 2007, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flamin @ Feb 5 2007, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
spray the grate with some 3m adhesive spray and cut a piece of the black nylon window screening to fit the shape of the grate and stick it on the outside of the vent? at least then you can wipe it off if it does plug.[/b]
Not a bad idea there FF.

I looked at the M sleds (and Crossfires too I believe) with their exposed air intake filter material, and I think something like that is probably going to be the best fix. Maybe someone at Cat is coming up with something even as I type this! – Roy

[/b][/quote]

well Cat is aware of the problem and when my dealer was on the phone with them sending my pictures off they said they were trying different solution and it will be fixed for the 2008 model year...Isn't that just wonderful lol

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FaSTBoY @ Feb 5 2007, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well Cat is aware of the problem and when my dealer was on the phone with them sending my pictures off they said they were trying different solution and it will be fixed for the 2008 model year...Isn't that just wonderful lol[/b]
Well, that's great for someone buying an '08, but the REST of us loyal Cat customers would like... INSIST on a fix ASAP for our just purchased three month old '07's. This is a PISS POOR DESIGN that either was NOT tested in real world snow condtions, or was just shrugged off hoping nobody would notice or complain. I've owned ten new sleds in my short lifetime so far – six of them Cats – and NONE of them ran quite as bad as this '07 F1000 in real world snow conditions, with a snow/ice restricted air intake. – Roy

·
Registered
135 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Feb 5 2007, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FaSTBoY @ Feb 5 2007, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well Cat is aware of the problem and when my dealer was on the phone with them sending my pictures off they said they were trying different solution and it will be fixed for the 2008 model year...Isn't that just wonderful lol[/b]
Well, that's great for someone buying an '08, but the REST of us loyal Cat customers would like... INSIST on a fix ASAP for our just purchased three month old '07's. This is a PISS POOR DESIGN that either was NOT tested in real world snow condtions, or was just shrugged off hoping nobody would notice or complain. I've owned ten new sleds in my short lifetime so far – six of them Cats – and NONE of them ran quite as bad as this '07 F1000 in real world snow conditions, with a snow/ice restricted air intake. – Roy

[/b][/quote]

hey I'm with you....I will be fixing it myself for this year ...I thought of the 3m stuff also ...I know my buddies machz have had the same problem with the intakes clogging up .....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like even some of the M chassis guys are having this problem, and that's with the stock exposed intake prefilter material with NO grated cover.

http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/messagevie...MVIEWTMP=Linear

But at least they DO have the chance to at least brush/wipe the snow away, unlike the new F series, where it's stuck in there, choking off the air intake, and pretty much ruining your ride for the day unless or until you pull into your Yamaha bud's garage to thaw it out with a heat gun, then making damn sure you either stay on a packed trail, and if you DO dare to venture off trail in any amount of real snow, making sure not to make any turns, lest you quickly plug up the intake again.

Sounds to me like some kind of plastic hood deflector or reverse scoop over the air intake vents just MIGHT be the easiest, simplest, cheapest, and most effective answer at this point. It could cover the entire vent area, with an opening towards the rear.

I'm still hoping – EXPECTING – that Cat will come up with a fix for this ASAP, but if not... if they let us down, this would be a GREAT idea for one of the aftermarket companies to pursue! – Roy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts