Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just bought an '02 ZR800, we put pipes on it and got it running but it felt like something was hanging up. When he took it for a test ride around the shop he brought it in and the rotor was red hot. What can cause this and how do you fix it?

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Brake caliper is hanging up. Take it off the rotor and see if you can get the pads to move by pumping the brake lever. If they dont move, I'd opt'ed for a new one or one from a used sled. It just isnt worth it to have your brakes fail or lock up on you when you dont expect it.. While your at it, make sure your rotor didnt get out or round while it was hot.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
you have some corrosion in between your caliper pistons and the housing,

take the caliper out, then take the 2 bolts out and separate the halves, make sure ya dont loose the small oring that goes in between, then carefully use an air compressor in the port hole to get the piston out, lay the caliper pistin side down, when you put ait to it it can come out fast enough to hurt you, after you have it apart clean the bore with some 600 wet dry and wd-40, you can wire brush the pistons, they are stainless..... this is a good time to put new seal rings in they are like $10 so ya outa do it. clean it up real good and re-assemble it , use brake fluid to pre-lube the piston seal when re-assembling
you do not have to get arctic cat parts to re-do the brake caliper, you can get this piston kit from and hot rod shop or online from any wilwood dealer
when you go for the parts tell em ya need piston seals for the dynalite single caliper, they use the same seals in quite a few of these type calipers

dan

·
Registered
515 Posts
Also check rubber seal on brake cable between brake lever and handle bar is not wedged if it is rip it off.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Dantheman has some good advice, except don't use any WD-40 or petroleum based solvents on any brake parts. Only use fresh brake fluid or brake cleaner. The petroleum products will cause issues with the seals, o-rings, and such. Also, the Wilwood brake setup is a very good one, the piston cups are stainless so they clean up really well. I used a wire wheel to clean up the pistons, calipers, and hardware. Go to Home Depot/Lowes and purchase some new Allen capscrews for your caliper if they are rusted (I suspect they are) so you can torque them down to the correct torque for your year sled. Also, replace the bleeder screw. Take the bleeder screw to the local auto parts store and have them locate a replacement. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Another thing that can happen... If the pad material wears too thin, the pistons reach out of the caliper too far and lose proper alignment in the bores... This causes the piston's inner edge to hang up and metal galling in the bores can result. This problem happened to mine.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Jan 25 2007, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Another thing that can happen... If the pad material wears too thin, the pistons reach out of the caliper too far and lose proper alignment in the bores... This causes the piston's inner edge to hang up and metal galling in the bores can result. This problem happened to mine.[/b]
AGREED....................pads only need to be worn slightly more than 1/2 before the pistons starts to tip / hang up........poor design.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
i would also like to point out that the wilwood dynalite single brake pads fit right in so you do not have to use the arctic cat brake pads, i am currently using the polymatrix b black pads from wilwood and these seem to grip a lot better, you can get em from any wilwood dealer.

dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, I just got done working on that sled and I got the pistons and caliper all cleaned up. They are working very good now.

Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts