Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was trail riding with stucky on Friday and I sort of rolled my fcat....no real damage other than the windshield and the steering post is bent...they are only $62 bucks to replace so I figgered I would just get a new one rather than try to straighten it.

Does anyone know how much trouble it is to replace?

thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Ah, I'm in the same shoes as you are in...Have to order and wonder how much time it will take to complete the job. Friend of mine says 4 hours. I dunno

TTT,

AB

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rough weekend for us. I too bent my steering post after looking back for my buds and hit a drift and tossed my sled into an apple trees branches. I was not going that fast but it broke my windshield, bent my steering post and took off the master cyclender. I had enough brakes to ge me home then had to go buy a new brake assembly. Can't beleive the dealer had one in stock. I can ride mine the way it is but someday I would like to replace the post. looks easy!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I believe it may be a matter of taking the nuts off that are underneath in the tunnel, but not positve on that.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Not that bad of a job. Just remove the little black cowl strip/dash thingy, the support at the tank, the drag link, and remove from under the tunnel. Thats probably about one of the only things I've never had off on my sled. :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Like greensled said.

The only thing I'd add is flip the sled on its side first, then remove the center nut only (there will be 3 looking up from the bottom). It has a washer underneath it.. account for that. This nut can be reached with a long extension on your rachet.

Flip the sled back onto the track and remove everything so you can lift out the bent post. Put the new post in and attach everything up top.

Flip the sled on its side and replace the washer and nut. Easy with a long rachet extension.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
I'll be sure to take pixs in a "Step by Step" order as I'm going to start working on it tomorrow afternoon after work.

I'll create a new thread here in a few days.

AB :thumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
what are the two nuts that are on either side of the big nut in the middle for then?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The two outside nuts (when looking at the bottom) hold the "steering post stop bracket" that the steering post passes through. No need to remove them to replace the steering post.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticBoy @ Feb 6 2007, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'll be sure to take pixs in a "Step by Step" order as I'm going to start working on it tomorrow afternoon after work.

AB :thumbsup:[/b]
Any words of wisdom, I hope to attempt to fix mine this wekend?

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nhsnopro @ Feb 6 2007, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The two outside nuts (when looking at the bottom) hold the "steering post stop bracket" that the steering post passes through. No need to remove them to replace the steering post.[/b]
Agreed !. After studying the microfiche off Alpha Sports and went underneath as I got the sled jacked up in the air. Pretty simple. Only use 9/16" socket w/extension and it's done.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (North04_F7 @ Feb 7 2007, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticBoy @ Feb 6 2007, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AB :thumbsup:[/b]
Any words of wisdom, I hope to attempt to fix mine this wekend?
[/b][/quote]
Man...Man, Finished it in 2.5 hours taking my time. Absolutely a very simple job unlike the ZR. I'm glad I did the job myself which I'm saving alot of money from spending so much $$$ on Labor. $70 dollars, Huh ?.

Will try to post pixs separately with instructions and directions tonight. Not good at it though. :D

AB

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lookin forward to the pics.....did you have to remove the belly pan?

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (North04_F7 @ Feb 9 2007, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
lookin forward to the pics.....did you have to remove the belly pan?[/b]
No, You don't have to. Use 9/16" socket and extension where you can reach through between the tunnel body and track itself. Pretty easy to work on.

Didn't get the chance to take pixs as I got real pissy last night with the dealer who told me that 2 of my parts have been backordered. Tried to call 5 dealers locally and they all said the same thing...."Don't have them in stock and will have to order them". bang your head

Will go out riding tomorrow without Linda's presence which I am not too comfortable. Always enjoy having her around with me when we go snowmobiling together. :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did't get my part's eighter. Will haveto wait untill next week to finalize the job..

·
Registered
703 Posts
i have the same thing to do tonight. Had an encounter with a rock that throw me onto the bars. but i got my parts within 2 days.
[attachment=63479:picture_208.jpg]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got my parts and I am done only about 1 1/2 hrs or so no biggie...thanks guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.