Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed my steering is off from day one but decided to ride and break the sled in then fix it. To drive straight I have to turn the bars on a slight angle. Where do I find the adjustment for that? Any help would be great!

·
Registered
261 Posts
It need a front end allignment. It's controlled by the tie rods. Your dealer is supposed to check that and adjust it if needed as part of new sled prep. I would take it back and demand that they do what they get paid for.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Morgan @ Feb 7 2007, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It need a front end allignment. It's controlled by the tie rods. Your dealer is supposed to check that and adjust it if needed as part of new sled prep. I would take it back and demand that they do what they get paid for.[/b]
Is it not something I can just adjust instead of the hassle of taking it to my dealer?

·
Registered
236 Posts
ACTMAN06: It is the same procedure as aligning your skis. Move the handle bars to the position that is straight and secure them in that position with tie straps to the running boards. This alone can drive you crazy. Put a straight edge against the track (make sure track is aligned) and use the control rods (the ones on the front suspension with the lock nuts) to align the skis to the straight edge. Note the lock nuts on the control arms have one right thread and one left thread. Once you get them un-locked you just turn the rod to move the ski in and out. Slight toe out is OK but no more then 1/4 ". Good luck. This adjustment drives me crazy. It is almost impossible to get it right on. There are so many variables. My suggestion is to get it close and don't worry about it. Having said that, I know how annoying it is to be going down a straight trail with the handlebars turned.

It seems like a simple procedure, that should only take a few minutes, but believe me, I have spent hours trying to get them right on. That is why they don't come properly done from the dealer. They just don't have the time. As long as both skis are on in the same direction is good enough for them.

If anyone else has any suggestion on how to nail ski alignment down, it would be appreciated.

Good Luck Redd

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Redd @ Feb 7 2007, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ACTMAN06: It is the same procedure as aligning your skis. Move the handle bars to the position that is straight and secure them in that position with tie straps to the running boards. This alone can drive you crazy. Put a straight edge against the track (make sure track is aligned) and use the control rods (the ones on the front suspension with the lock nuts) to align the skis to the straight edge. Note the lock nuts on the control arms have one right thread and one left thread. Once you get them un-locked you just turn the rod to move the ski in and out. Slight toe out is OK but no more then 1/4 ". Good luck. This adjustment drives me crazy. It is almost impossible to get it right on. There are so many variables. My suggestion is to get it close and don't worry about it. Having said that, I know how annoying it is to be going down a straight trail with the handlebars turned.

It seems like a simple procedure, that should only take a few minutes, but believe me, I have spent hours trying to get them right on. That is why they don't come properly done from the dealer. They just don't have the time. As long as both skis are on in the same direction is good enough for them.

If anyone else has any suggestion on how to nail ski alignment down, it would be appreciated.

Good Luck Redd[/b]
Thanks so much for the great advice!!! I spoke to my dealer and he told me they have trouble with that due to the hooked bars. I might just wait till the end of the year to play with that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I measure 42" to center of spindles/knuckles. At the front tip measured them to just over 42" in the center groove, and then measured the back edge to a bolt on the tunnel(16 1/2") if I recall right. Doesn't matter what you use as measurement guideline as long as you can use the same reference point from side to side, and as long as the bars are straight, and your front & rear measurements are close the skis will be even. Took me a while to figure out mine, my wifes f5 was dead on from the dealer. As for her front end plastic, I have a lot of work to do to get that all evened out, worse than my F6 when I got it.

Pop cap off top of tie rod bolt, loosen lock nuts and tap them out gently with a hammer & small block of wood. Hardest part was keeping the tie rods in place while i took measurements. Could probably use a pair of vise grips fit loosely with a rag. Too much of a pain to keep running the nut on and off while I adjusted. Have to make sure tie rod is seated all the way in the knuckle, otherwise that alone can throw measurement off by a 1/4" or more. The inner part unlocks and turns also, which is what I did for some of the adjustment. Didn't want to have only a thread or two holding either end on. Once you have it, a small drop of loctite and tighten your lock nuts back down. Used a dab of silicone to hold the plastic caps back on(dried overnight)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.