Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my ride from hell. I have a 96 zrt 600. Rode about 75 miles today flawless. On my way back wide open I noticed that motor was breaking up just a little. then started getting worse to the point it would barley rev past 3000 rpm. Stopped and went to shut motor off and kill switch and igniton would not shut engine off. I pulled the plug wires to kill it. Plugs were fouled pretty bad so i put a new pair in and checked for spark on all cylinders ok. started it up and idle ok but didnt want to go anywhere breaking up really bad , missing and backfiring. all cylinders have spark and fuel. i figured out that if i let it coll down a little bit it runs better but then starts the same thing and it comes on slowly to the point it will barley run and did die out a few times. anyone have any ideas stator ohns out ok when cold. Did not have a meter with me to check it hot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check the 4 plug wire connector below the radiator cap by the pull start housing,this is a common problem with the 96 zrt as anti freeze leaks down and gets into the 4 wire connector.Take it apart and blow it dry with an air hose.Did you add antifreeze before your ride and spill a little bit or wash the motor?There will be a 4 wire and a 2 wire connector in the same velcro cover.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you takling about the 4 pin connector that goes to the stator???????? I did not add any coolant and I did not see any water in the connector.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zrt600trip @ Dec 20 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snofrog @ Dec 20 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
did you try and bypass the throttle safety switch ? not the kill but safety switch[/b]
Not sure........on each carb there is a 2 pin connector that is not connected to anything???????????
[/b][/quote]
does your kill switch work ?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Clean all the connections under the hood with brake clean and blow them out with compressed air. Put in a fresh set of plugs and try to see if it will run and shut off. I have seen a CDI go bad and the sled wouldn't shut off.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Sounds like your carb switches are already bypassed. Try cleaning out the other connector with the yellow wires and see if that helps. You ignition switches loop through there and can cause things to act up like you describe.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
no . if you have stock bars pull up on the rubber boot around your steering post and there is a three prong connector . that is where the bypass would be if it were and also where you can check incase the other ideas dont work out for you

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snofrog @ Dec 20 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
no . if you have stock bars pull up on the rubber boot around your steering post and there is a three prong connector . that is where the bypass would be if it were and also where you can check incase the other ideas dont work out for you[/b]
And how can i tell if its bypassed and what does bypassing it do?????

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
in that three wire connector there will be a jump wire on the engine side of that connection ( one closest to the motor ) it is the odd socket and the one next to it that get jumped .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2000 zrt 600 with a similar problem. put on about 70 mi yesterday and ran great when it bogged down and lost power. Was able to limp to nearby road when i let up on throttle it died. after a few minutes was able to start on what seemed to be 2 cyl. started pulling plug wires to narrow down the problem and it fired back up. ran about another 2mi same thing. repeated this same scenario about 3 times until i was able to get home. gonna dig into it tonight, any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well after digging into it i found the cdi melted in the lower corner and the two wires to the coils insulation was cracked and missing. does it matter what wire from the cdi goes to which coil???????

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zrt600trip @ Dec 21 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well after digging into it i found the cdi melted in the lower corner and the two wires to the coils insulation was cracked and missing. does it matter what wire from the cdi goes to which coil???????[/b]

I have 2 sets of coils and 2 cdi`s if you are intrested

1 - 20 of 21 Posts