Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 TRV 500 which I bought a yr ago. Last summer, if I stopped after a hard ride, it would not key start-had to use pull rope. I also noticed the headlights flickering.Went back, cleaned all battery cables and other wiring, checked the battery and filled to proper level, and the headlight issue was gone. The starter deal kept happening intermittently.
After breaking out from a cold MT winter, the battery died about 3rd time out. I started it with the pull w/o issue and went on a short ride only to relize-no lights-no cooling fan and a blinking temp guage. Replaced battery 2 days ago-started right up. 1st time we started out and shut down after a bit-same deal-won't start but with pull. Lights, fan, etc are fine. When I turn the key, I hear a click which I would presume to be a solenoid but that's it. Thought I would ask for advice before pulling out starter, etc. In older auto's set up like this, you could jump across the solenoid to diagnose it, and sometimes tap on the starter if frozen, check wiring, etc etc. I'm getting lazy these days and don't really don't want to go on a witch hunt with my volt meter. Any advice to reduce my labor would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Your battery is done

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it died two days ago and I just put a new one in yesterday. I thought for sure that was it and then it did the same freaking thing. I'm going to chase down wiring next. I did check the ground on the starter. It had some oxidation on it--not much. Gonna take it about 60 miles round trip tomorrow-we'll see if it helps. I glad it pull starts fine

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well you'll need your volt meter for this. First I would check what the stator is putting out at the battery, then at the stator (should be 13.5-14.5 volts) and before and after the voltage regulator. The reason to check the output like this is if the stator is good but the VR isn't putting out correctly you can see if it's the wiring or the VR. If it's charging properly then check for any loose connectors or bare wiring. Here's a free Arctic cat service manual. Follow the diagnose steps for testing the stator, voltage regulator etc.

"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. The detective work will begin shortly. It's wierd how it won't start when warmed up but will when cold and started for first time. My brain keeps going to a circuit board. I don't really know anything about the CID. However, a lot of other things to check out first

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm going with voltage regulator, which is an easy and relatively cheap fix.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that will be this weekend project. I have a load tester and the new battery is good and the charging system is putting out about 14 volts. When I put a load on it, it drops to about 12 which is normal indicating the charging system is doing its job-I guess. It will often click when I try to start it when it gets in one of its moods. Back in the 70's and before, there was a starter solenoid that when it went bad sounded like that. If you wire across it,and it started--there's your sign. It's wierd it only does it when hot. Starts right up first time. I had the main relay go out in a brand new Honda once (my last one-dealer sucked)-did the same thing. I'll let u guys know how it goes. I just hate pulling body parts off lazer

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Isn't it under the seat?

·
Registered
18 Posts
did you find problem

i have same problem on my atv runs good till warms up then just cranks would not start yesterday got pulled about 5 ft then i hit starter fired up drove back to truck did not start again till cooled off just strange it is 1998 atv 400 4x4

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
problem solved

starter solenoid. I did a direct hot wire on the starter and it started without problem (Be sure you have your transmission in neutral if you do this). This left either the start switch or the solenoid. I then did a direct jump across the solenoid with the switch on and it started which eliminated the switch and left me to conclude it had to be the solenoid. Thankfully that was it. $25 part

1 - 11 of 11 Posts