Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 automatic. When I go to start it the starter spins but, it doesn't turn the engine over. I can start it with the pull cord though. I took the starter off and the gear on the starter looks good and the gears in the engine look good and turn good. I'm really at a loss as to what's going on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
299 Posts
One way bearing on the flywheel is probably bad if everything else is good. Those motor are known for kick back and busting the cases on the reduction gears but the ones I've seen like that someone has been in and pulled the gears already. Take your flywheel and try to spin it, normally it should free way one direction and the other should catch to turn your motor. If it free spins both ways you need a new one waya nd possibly the idler gear if it is worn.

·
Registered
2011 700
77 Posts
One way bearing on the flywheel is probably bad if everything else is good. Those motor are known for kick back and busting the cases on the reduction gears but the ones I've seen like that someone has been in and pulled the gears already. Take your flywheel and try to spin it, normally it should free way one direction and the other should catch to turn your motor. If it free spins both ways you need a new one waya nd possibly the idler gear if it is worn.
How difficult a job is it? Just bought a 2003 500 and it does the exact same thing. What’s involved in taking the cover off the side and changing those parts? Any special tools required?

·
Administrator
41,905 Posts
You will need a flywheel puller, and you can download a free service manual at countrycat.com under the technical section.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts