Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody could help me find the plug connector that goes to the starter solenoid. I believe it’s common on most A/C atvs. I bought mine used and it was already cut off. Tried looking at connector kits on Amazon etc. could find anything that looked like it would fit. It’s a 2005 400FIS Manual. Any help is appreciated.

-TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
It looks like you need number 9 in this parts lookup.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My advice would be to unbolt the solenoid, go to an auto-parts store/industrial distributors store (I use Greggs in Canada) with the solenoid in hand, i BELIEVE it's a 2 pin weather pack connector that looks like the links below, IF my memory serves me correctly.

https://canada.newark.com/aptiv-for...|&CMP=KNC-GCA-GEN-Shopping-VeryLow-Connectors

so it looks like its a 2 pin GM connector of some variety

Should cost about $10 from a real auto parts store or industrial supply store.

EDIT: Both pictures look accurate to me, but without measurements it's hard to tell. your best bet is to take a picture above, and the solenoid to like a Greggs/real auto parts store and say "hey i need a connector like this to plug into this.

BE REALLY CAREFUL REMOVING STUD BOLTS, the studs on these solenoids are held in place by friction against plastic and can spin EASILY, my advice is buy a cheap $3 10mm wrench and customize it with a grinder, I've got a picture of one I made i squared the sides and made it skinny so I could fit under the cable and hold the stud while using a ratchet. I painted the wrench bright red and put it in my toolbox to forever have as a solenoid wrench. I recommend this.

During RE-installation, PUT ANTI-SEIZE/Copper-kote/coat on the studs for future removal, will help keep a bit of corrosion down and will ensure they will come off again in the future. I've had to cut the studs off, and cut the cables off before, it is TERRIBLE. cutting anything near that solenoid with a grinder will MELT the stud right out of the solenoid body, this will render it into a piece of plastic trash.

DON'T TORQUE THE H*** Out of the studs, DON'T use Loctite/Threadlock, you will hate yourself later.

Inspect your cables while in there, it's not a bad idea to check the crimp-ons etc. I had to replace mine while in there last time, I had green death growing inside the cable that I wasn't fond of. IF the cable looks healthy throw some brush-on electrical tape or heat-shrink or tape on it to keep it healthy, for decent quality cable it was like $14/ft for 6 gauge, plus connectors, plus solder, i made my connections by filling the connector with liquid solder, pressing the cable into it, then crimping it as hard as I could to ensure a good solid termination.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts