Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had to fiddle with the brake lever to get the starter to engage a few times. Today, nothing worked. When I hit the start button immediately after turning on the key, the glow plug light goes out. I'm thinking that it's not the starter but rather the start switch, or the brake safety switch. I had to replace the ignition switch a while ago. Other than the glow plug, don't think it's much different than the gas models, except no reverse override. What do you think? Does not sound like Arctic Cat Joe's issue with his starter.

· Registered
14,353 Posts
Did your glow plug light always go out immediately? There is a glow plug relay. Does it happen in neutral too? Maybe it’s the neutral safety switch.

· Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did your glow plug light always go out immediately? There is a glow plug relay. Does it happen in neutral too? Maybe it’s the neutral safety switch.
Glow plug light usually stays on for 30 seconds, then I start. I'm thinking maybe the brake safety switch, as it has to have the brake on to start, but will start in any gear. A couple times before it failed to start, I held down the start button and kept pumping the brake lever and it started. The Diesel has more vibration than a gas model and sometimes stuff gets fatigued or loosened... Kinda like a Harley, I guess.

· Registered
14,353 Posts
It sure sounds like the brake safety switch but I’d hate to start throwing parts at it. I’m wondering about the glow plug relay and how it’s supposed to work. My New Holland tractor is consistent with how long it stays on warm or cold. My GM truck however will shut off immediately if engine is warm but stays on longer for a cold engine.

· Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sure sounds like the brake safety switch but I’d hate to start throwing parts at it. I’m wondering about the glow plug relay and how it’s supposed to work. My New Holland tractor is consistent with how long it stays on warm or cold. My GM truck however will shut off immediately if engine is warm but stays on longer for a cold engine.
Catman, Think I'll take it to my mechanic and let him diagnose. He's excellent, cheap ($75/hr) and not dyslexic like me, haha. Country Cat has the parts, though. Glow plug always takes the same ammount of time, like 30 seconds. Of course only need glow plugs when cold. My Ram Ecodiesel starts about 3 seconds after hitting the ignition switch when -20F. Cat starts at -20 but takes a bit of cranking. I do all my service on the Ecodiesel, as it's easy to work on, but everything on the Arctic Cat is shoehorned, especially with the turbocharger and intercooler. My mechanic works on anything. Last time I took the Cat there, he was tuning up an old bullet nose Studebacker in the other bay, haha.

· Registered
155 Posts
Ok how many switches are there that help determine whether it will start or not? Ive never had to use the brake to start the vehicle??? Also, mine will only start in neutral.

· Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok how many switches are there that help determine whether it will start or not? Ive never had to use the brake to start the vehicle??? Also, mine will only start in neutral.
Mine is an 08, so ignition switch and start button, like a gas model. Gas and Diesel require the brake to be set or no start. Compared to my 2014 700 gas TRV, it does not have Park. I wish that it did! My Diesel won't start in Neutral unless brake lever engaged. Both models also have the kill switch. Amazing how similar and yet so different they are! Already miss not having the Diesel. Been cutting wood and the 3,500 lb winch on the TRV is kinda wimpy compared to the 5,000 lb one on the Diesel, yanking out trees, also the extra weight and guts of the Diesel lets it work much harder. Wish the Diesel had power steering, though. Have an appointment with my mechanic next month to figure it out.... Probably have him replace a couple bushings too.

· Administrator
42,825 Posts
Big job?

· Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, but it's one I'm leaving up to my mechanic. Have to replace a front CV boot and maybe a rear control arm bushing. She gets used pretty hard in the woods, but the 700 TRV has gone ok replacing the Diesel. Miss the low end grunt though.

· Registered
155 Posts
Hey Wallmeister, can you replace that starter solenoid? Where exactly is it. I know there is one under the seat. Is there another on near the starter?

· Registered
155 Posts
Hey Wallmeister, any updates on that starter issue? I replaced my ignition switch, and the solenoid under the seat and all of a sudden have no glow plug light on the dash. Im pretty sure I have no glow plug activation as well because its cold here and she doesnt want to start without them. I just bought a new glow plug relay to replace under the seat. That stupid relay was 353.00 from country cat! I found one in England for 65.00 pounds.
Country Cat is very often REALLY expensive.

· Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gotta call my mechanic. Had a lot going on and I told my mechanic no rush. It's not Country Cat, it's just that Cat parts are expensive. Always good to check eBay, I've also found parts for the Diesel from England much cheaper.

· Registered
155 Posts
Well, unlike the US, in England 90% of the quads sold there are diesel. Diesel fuel is cheaper and diesel quads run a lot longer on a tank. I dont know why I lost my glow plugs, but Im going to swap out the relay under the seat and check all the fuses to.

Reactions: Wallamatogus

· Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally figured what was causing my starting issues: The terminal on the white wire to the starter was bad! Replaced it and it's been great. Got it fixed just in time. Lots of heavy snow to plow.

· Administrator
42,825 Posts
Was it broken, corroded, ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts