Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time with this one. I think I must have lost/spun the bearing that is in with my speedometer assembly. The sled was making some weird noises today and then I noticed my speedo stopped working. When I slowed down the squeaking/chirping started up again. If I kept the speed at 40mph it was quiet.

I helped my buddy change one on his 93 Panther Deluxe. What a pain. Is this that collared bearing I can get at Tractor Supply? How big of a job is it on my 96 Tcat? Thanks.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cannot find anything in the service manual PDF I have that references the procedure for removing/replacing this bearing, just to lube it twice a year (which I did not know-Dho :Bangin:)

Any help on this procedure is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Not really that hard to do. You have to drain the chain case oil, take out the gears and chain. Pull the suspension and the speedo drive adapter under the secondary. Best to pull the secondary off first so you can see what your doing. If you have never done it it will be a good days job. If you have done it a few times then it will be a few hours. Below is a link for the farm store bearings 109jb had discussed.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-z...-bearings.html?highlight=drive+shaft+bearings

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few clarifying questions-

• Do I need to completely pull out the drive shaft & spindle assembly?

• Do I need to drop the entire suspension or just the two bolts at the front?

• Does the skid need to come out?

• Since the speedo stopped working, is this an indication that the cable adapter broke inside the housing and need replacement?

Thanks in advance.

b

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A few clarifying questions-

• Do I need to completely pull out the drive shaft & spindle assembly?

• Do I need to drop the entire suspension or just the two bolts at the front?

• Does the skid need to come out?

• Since the speedo stopped working, is this an indication that the cable adapter broke inside the housing and need replacement?

Thanks in advance.

b
Skid needs to comeout. Driveshaft will need to come out, bearing on speedo side will be rusty and stuck so you'll need it on bench to cut off or pull bearing off. You'll likely need a new key that goes from end of driveshaft to speedo adapter. Hope this helps Bob.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skid needs to comeout. Driveshaft will need to come out, bearing on speedo side will be rusty and stuck so you'll need it on bench to cut off or pull bearing off. You'll likely need a new key that goes from end of driveshaft to speedo adapter. Hope this helps Bob.
Yep, this helps a lot-thanks! When I helped my buddy do his we didn't take out anything but his sled is different. Good thing I have the zr580 for a backup. :)

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
On the floating scale, this should be a.....
5 Beer job!!!!
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the floating scale, this should be a.....
5 Beer job!!!!
Good Luck!
AllRightyThen! Cat happy

I dunno, maybe this sled is done for the season. It'll be melting around here in the next couple of weeks. :angry:

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Couple weeks?????? Its only a few hour job and there's riding to do !!!! It may not snow next year !!!

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couple weeks?????? Its only a few hour job and there's riding to do !!!! It may not snow next year !!!
I know, I know. I am just dreading this job.

But at least I still have my 580 to ride. Maybe I can tackle it this week-but I have to report for jury duty tomorrow. Hopefully they'll select all they need and send me home.

Well, I do have experience at pulling the skid now so maybe you're right and it won't take that long. Pulling the spindle & drive shaft can't be that difficult. :p

b

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Personally I think if the skid is out the drive axle is about the same time frame if not less. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts