Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
weight problem

Has anyone had issue with the rear suspension on the 500. the problem is no ability to carry weight. lift by hand to max extention and let go and it drops 5 inches lay ur hand on it and goes to bottom of suspension. check springs even tried RR springs and same results. shock seems fine, i know it has no direct weight carring ability but everything seems fine. sled has 1500 miles on this year. can't see anything. cat said check z bar but this suspension does not have the z bar that can flip like the old zr did. my 130lb son stands on running board and the snow flap is on the ground.. no dumb questions here because i feel stupid i can't see the problem. when discovered was back from a 125 mile hard ride on rougher trails

·
Super Moderator
8,545 Posts
Has anyone had issue with the rear suspension on the 500. the problem is no ability to carry weight. lift by hand to max extention and let go and it drops 5 inches lay ur hand on it and goes to bottom of suspension. check springs even tried RR springs and same results. shock seems fine, i know it has no direct weight carring ability but everything seems fine. sled has 1500 miles on this year. can't see anything. cat said check z bar but this suspension does not have the z bar that can flip like the old zr did. my 130lb son stands on running board and the snow flap is on the ground.. no dumb questions here because i feel stupid i can't see the problem. when discovered was back from a 125 mile hard ride on rougher trails
no idea. are you on flat ground??

·
Super Moderator
8,545 Posts
hard saying. springs could be sacked. Mine has 4000 miles on it and sits in a little bit. However mine is no where close to stock any more so I don't remember how it was when it was stock. does it bottom out all the time when you ride it?? Maybe check the springs and make sure they are at the correct angle. The book should tell the specs of them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The racers are finding some of the springs from new are up to 5 degrees off on the bends. If this is the case it like riding on bad springs. Plus check to see if your shocks are still good. I know they don't hold the sled up but if they are blown out they could bind things up some. Water in the shock will do this too! Get your shock rebuilt and go from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i thought about the degree on the spring, nice thing on the 500 it is a 90* spring so thats kinda easy to see with the eye. so i think its real close. we went to the last xcountry race of our season saturday and it seems to rebound about have way, my son was able to get by with it. i did go through the shock on thursday and it had no water and seemed good, but i rebuilt it. the shock does rebound but seems slow, one thing i did not do with gauge was check shock rod for straightness but it works off the machine. binding seems minimal because lift the bumper and everything seperates.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Remember 5 degrees in spring bend will make a huge difference in handling. I still think its in he shocks though. Do you have enough nitrogen in them? I know the snoX has more pressure than the cross country shocks. Are your blocks that the rear springs slid in wore at all on the rails?

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have the front skid spring just over half tight and the straps are just loose when sitting on floor with no weight on sled. then i run a little more on the ski's. but maybe my throughts are wrong. i'm leaning towards the shocks also, i think everything is right but thinking and being is two different things.:Bangin: so i think a shock from the RR will be tried next. then if that is the problem i think a full set of evols are in the furture. i love the sled up to this and i love the evol shocks. saying all this my son rides this and weighs in at about 125 to 130, thats y i can't understand the issue with so little of miles.

·
Super Moderator
8,545 Posts
i have the front skid spring just over half tight and the straps are just loose when sitting on floor with no weight on sled. then i run a little more on the ski's. but maybe my throughts are wrong. i'm leaning towards the shocks also, i think everything is right but thinking and being is two different things.:Bangin: so i think a shock from the RR will be tried next. then if that is the problem i think a full set of evols are in the furture. i love the sled up to this and i love the evol shocks. saying all this my son rides this and weighs in at about 125 to 130, thats y i can't understand the issue with so little of miles.

dont bother doing evols until you upgrade to 600 rear shocks. They will out power the stock 500 rear shocks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
dont bother doing evols until you upgrade to 600 rear shocks. They will out power the stock 500 rear shocks.
Yup, wasting money when he needs it in the back.

Have you valved for your weight yet? Also were are your transfer coupling blocks set in the back?

I know everyone loves when the skis come up like a drag car but if your going to ride this sled for what it was made to do, bang the bumps, the couplers need to be set for the lest amount of movement. This will also help with the sled returning all the way up too! Try the coupler block adjustment and let me know what happens.

That mid shock if you have to much spring pre-load it will bind the spring and rotate around the mid shock making feel like your riding a rocking horse down the trail. Just keep that in mind.

If you think RR shocks are going to be any easier your wrong. Those 500 rear shocks are really good, I recommend try valving for your weight and riding style, call carver performance. You can't make a sled ride great for you and your son un-less your within 25 pounds of each other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks for saving me money. i was told the setup on the 500 was good and it was up till this. so maybe the shock is where i need to look real close. i do set the blocks close i don't like the skis up on the trails either. a buddy is always like back them off, it's not a drag sled it is a xc/trail sled. i do try and set everything for my boy because his 125+ to my 225 never does work on any of our sleds. lol thanks for direction unforturately no snow now, so i guess i'll let someone else give a look at the shock. planning on a 2014 500 for the daughter this year so i'll have parts to change and compare. my son was still able to do well against the big sleds even thinking about his landings. this is a great sled, needs a little more legs for long up uphill runs but nothing handles and is as light for the tights and jumps for the none pros like us. thanks again

·
Super Moderator
8,545 Posts
Yup, wasting money when he needs it in the back.

Have you valved for your weight yet? Also were are your transfer coupling blocks set in the back?

I know everyone loves when the skis come up like a drag car but if your going to ride this sled for what it was made to do, bang the bumps, the couplers need to be set for the lest amount of movement. This will also help with the sled returning all the way up too! Try the coupler block adjustment and let me know what happens.

That mid shock if you have to much spring pre-load it will bind the spring and rotate around the mid shock making feel like your riding a rocking horse down the trail. Just keep that in mind.

If you think RR shocks are going to be any easier your wrong. Those 500 rear shocks are really good, I recommend try valving for your weight and riding style, call carver performance. You can't make a sled ride great for you and your son un-less your within 25 pounds of each other.

I agree with caver he set up mine and what a difference in how the whole sled works. I am running 600 rears and Evol-x in the front now. His pricing is not very expensive either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.