Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 1996 zrt 600 doesnt run to fast on a start, once it gets going than it finnaly picks up speed, the track just seems to be spinning for the first 200 yards and barley moving past 30 - 40 mph, but than once it gets going it flys up to a 100+. Is this normal on an unstudded track? I am thinking on getting a studded track but not sure cause I am going to be selling this soon or trading it. What I dont get is, when it first snow and I could ride it never did this. Now it snowed more and idk if its really powdery or what but even when the snow melted a little and turned into the good ol snowball snow it does it. Also when I greased up my bearings I took it off the dollies and tried to get it out of the shed and the track was spinning on the concrete, I am thinking it was cause I wasnt sitting on the sled so it couldnt really catch..

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
An unstudded track and the 600cc triple motor will transfer into plenty of track spinnage in loose snow conditions. To get it to hook up good on hardpack trails you'll need 144 studs even then it will still break loose fairly easy.

As far as the spinning on concrete that is normal as well, the fact that it also had no rider weight on it didn't help. The front carbide runners really dig into the concrete and without some weight the rubber track just spins. I always left the front dollies on when moving around in the garage.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I usualy leave my dollies on and but they kept falling off cause the wheelies are a little loose :p. I just simply pulled the thing out of the garage, moves really easy across the snow now that I greased every single fitting :p.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you aren't on hard pack snow and your riding a 600 triple without studs you probobly will never stop spinning hhahahah, like he said even with studs your going to spin, that sled just has alot of torque, hooking up in loose snow you need a deeper lug track. Once you stud it though, on hard pack you will notice a huge difference. I wouldn't run anything less then 144 studs in that 600 triple.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had mine out in a few inches this week and on some ice. With 192 studs mine spins like it's on grease. It hooks up fairly well in the dirt!!! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Jan 21 2007, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well my 1996 zrt 600 doesnt run to fast on a start, once it gets going than it finnaly picks up speed, the track just seems to be spinning for the first 200 yards and barley moving past 30 - 40 mph, but than once it gets going it flys up to a 100+. Is this normal on an unstudded track? I am thinking on getting a studded track but not sure cause I am going to be selling this soon or trading it. What I dont get is, when it first snow and I could ride it never did this. Now it snowed more and idk if its really powdery or what but even when the snow melted a little and turned into the good ol snowball snow it does it. Also when I greased up my bearings I took it off the dollies and tried to get it out of the shed and the track was spinning on the concrete, I am thinking it was cause I wasnt sitting on the sled so it couldnt really catch..[/b]
heres a good reason why you need studs on a 600 tripple
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tu02J4EtUX4

·
Registered
317 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radissimo @ Jan 26 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I had mine out in a few inches this week and on some ice. With 192 studs mine spins like it's on grease. It hooks up fairly well in the dirt!!! :)[/b]
what is the stud length compared to the lug size of your track? It shouldnt spin that easy with 192 studs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmackZ @ Jan 27 2007, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radissimo @ Jan 26 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had mine out in a few inches this week and on some ice. With 192 studs mine spins like it's on grease. It hooks up fairly well in the dirt!!! :)[/b]
what is the stud length compared to the lug size of your track? It shouldnt spin that easy with 192 studs.
[/b][/quote]

I got an EXT 600 Tripple With the ZRT 600 Tripple Motor and around 192 studs and she doesn't spin that much

·
Registered
317 Posts
ya I didnt think it should, 192 studs thats alot of grab. Only had 98 on mine when it was studded and it hooked up like a "funny car", didnt need em here so removed em

·
Registered
316 Posts
i think its a blast when you get on ice with about an inch of snow on it, can you say "drifting" :devil_angry: Rockerdude my grandpa has a canal thats about 20 ft wide and gets a foot of ice on it. its a blast when you have your sled in a hairpin corner at 40mph and compleatly sideways!

·
Registered
63 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (I Ride Sand @ Jan 27 2007, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i think its a blast when you get on ice with about an inch of snow on it, can you say "drifting" :devil_angry: Rockerdude my grandpa has a canal thats about 20 ft wide and gets a foot of ice on it. its a blast when you have your sled in a hairpin corner at 40mph and compleatly sideways![/b]

I used to think the same thing. But, once you stud your sled you will never want to go back. It is way safer and the takeoff power is awesome. Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmackZ @ Jan 27 2007, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radissimo @ Jan 26 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

I checked the length, looks right about a 1/4" above track. I'm going to turn them, they are fairly worn in one direction. I probably just need to replace them. I had 96 on a 600 that hooked up better than this does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts