Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a nice long rather fast ride on Friday and the sled was fine, headed out today and 3 miles down the trail I noticed the speedo was not working in fact it had not registered any miles on the trip meter. Turned around once buddy came back for me and we crawled home. I pulled the secondary and the speedo drive adapter and sure enough the drive key was a twisted mess. Wondering if I can rebuild the drive assm before the ride on Thursday...
Clean the grease out and the bearing is fine ????
Spin the drive adapter with the remaining good end of the key and it seems fine too for a few revolutions then it binds up solid. WTF, can't be, turn it backward and then it spins another few revs forward and binds solid again. Can it be that the drive adapter actually failed and the bearing is fine ... sure seems that way.
Put it back together loaded with grease and went for a 100 mile rip including some high speed lake runs, all still good, ordering the drive adapter and key tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Hopefully that's all it is. problem with sleds is somethings bound to go wrong. It's snowing lots here right now.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish it this way, only calling for 1 -3 cm here, trails were a bit bare in spots this afternoon but still lots of snow in most areas, even deep powder in some. If mine breaks I can always ride the Elan my neighbour picked up, got it running today, what a blast to ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My speedo drive bound up earlier this year. The bearing was fine. I replaced the speedo drive and key, and it worked for awhile, but the little aluminum drive inside the drive axle is rounded out now.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ive found that most of the time, either the bearing is pooched or the aluminum drive bushing lets go and spins in the shaft. Have had both happen this year.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wayne from Pontypool @ Feb 27 2007, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Put another 150 miles on it and changed the drive adapter yesterday. Took it for another rip at lunch and all working and ready for Thursdays big ride.[/b]
:thumbsup:
Wolfie was over tonight, had to break him in a bit before Thursday. :lol:

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
plastic gears inside the drive adapter, i would pull your cable out , clean and relube it also, somehwere along the libe the cable prolly froze up for a second and took off one of the teeth in the drive
dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts