Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a stock 04 F7 ext (non DD). on the last day of our ride in the mountains, the speedo went completely whacky. the needle was bouncing all over the place and it was switching from analog to digital. it was also switching from mph to km/hr, even the lettering for the fuel level showed up a few times, and when i'd shut it off the needle would stay at like 70 mph, or wherever it wanted to. it did this the whole day long, as soon as i would start it up until i'd shut it off. i started it up a couple times since then and it seems to be reading just fine. I dunno anyone have this kind of trouble before? the only thing that i've done to this sled is put in a polaris 12volt dc kit for my gps.

·
Registered
288 Posts
First of all you installed polaris wiring on a AC. It was made for a polaris, not a arctic cat. Mixing brands can work but with wiring it is very touchy since elecrical parts vary by brands.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Actually, that means there was a lose in power at some time. When the needle stays at a certain spot that means it lost power. Cuz if i leave my sled with the rpm on the anologue it will stop at like 500rpm becasue it didnt get power. So your guadge was loosing power very quickly and was reseting all the time causing it to do this.

So the polaris wiring being not the right colors for the wiring, it could be shorting out and that ruined your guadge. When a car speedo goes bad the needle moves all over the place so i think you need a new guadge.

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Sounds to me like the gauge is broken.
when you put the polaris kit on you basically wire the ac side up and then the dc side goes to the gps right ?

Steve

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would have gotten a 12v kit from AC though, it wouldnt have done what happened to your sled.

Also, if its a carb it will not make enough power to power a gps. The stator makes half the power of a EFI and will just go wacko. It will shut other things off but not the motor. I take it you dont have a battery so it couldnt take power from there to power anything.

So when you tried it later was the gps on it or not? Basically you could have also hurt your stator with that kind of power load.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah steve, i wired it in properly. i just tapped into the plug for the electric shield. i checked it with a multimeter before and after its putting out around 12 volts dc. the sled does have efi and no i didn't have the gps with me that day. the gauge seems to be working alright now though, thats what seems so strange. i did have the hood off not too long ago though, i wonder if one of the plugs might have come loose?? the guage worked fine up until the last day...

·
Registered
514 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guydur @ Jan 9 2007, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yeah steve, i wired it in properly. i just tapped into the plug for the electric shield. i checked it with a multimeter before and after its putting out around 12 volts dc. the sled does have efi and no i didn't have the gps with me that day. the gauge seems to be working alright now though, thats what seems so strange. i did have the hood off not too long ago though, i wonder if one of the plugs might have come loose?? the guage worked fine up until the last day...[/b]
Electronics can do some wierd things sometimes, If its back to normal now then just keep an eye on it. Maybe pull your underhood cover and check for any chaffed wires, Maybe it got some moisture in it, could be a ton of things but if it works now the old saying goes if it aint broke dont fix it. Dont listen to "sabercat500efi" no offence to him but it seems like he takes a unedjucated guess at alot "need advise posts".

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you didnt have the gps on it it could have been many different problems. Just watch it and see if it does it again.

If a plud was loose or still is loose, when you were bouncing around on the trail it could have been disconnecting for a millisecond causing it to go wacko.

SnoProPickle, what things do i say that are uneducated. All of the things i said could have caused it. There isnt only one thing that can go wrong, it can be many things for 1 problem. And he had a lot of variables that werent cleared up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
is it an early build or late build. There is a difference in the speedo. Some have said the early build speedos were a problem. maybe someone else can elaborate on it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Since it is a firecat ext, the only way it could be a new speedo is an 05. In 04 i beleive they still uses the crappy guadge. I hate the old guadges, you couldnt even read em at night, they were just too dull. Plus my friend has had problems with his a lot on his 03 F5.

So guydur, what is your exact model just so we dont have to piece things together. It would help a lot thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts