Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to replace a speedo drive bushing? Mine seems to just spin inside the drive shaft and the speedo doesn't work. It's part #4. Its the part the key fits into. Is there a way to tighten it up? Don't know anything about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It's splined. You'll have to get the old one out. Sometimes you can get it with a chisel or you might have to thread a screw into the end and pull it out. Hopefully a new one will be a tigther fit. They say you're supposed to replace the bushing whenever you break the key. If yours is spinning you might be able to get it out with a pick or at least pull it up enough to get a screwdriver or chisel under it to get it the rest of the way. I've only ever got them out when the drive shaft was out of the sled. It might be a little trickier with it still in but should still be doable.

Dave

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a pic of a new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is what mine looks like. 1st the old shaft then whats currently in my sled. Looks like part of it is still in the drive shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
What part do you think is still in the drive shaft? I've done 2 of them on 2 different sleds and they were beat up so bad around the edges I didn't eve know there was a bushing in there. It all looked like part of the shaft. The second one on the 99 Panther was worse then the one one the 97 ZRT. It was rounded right off and couldn't even find the edge. I did the screw thing on it.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you look at the pic in post #4, and then the pic of mine still in the sled (2nd pic in) in post #5, it looks like part of its still in the shaft ??
So is part of it still in the shat? Is the shaft suppose to be flat on the end?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The new bushing should slide easily into the shaft until it gets to the splined part and then you have to tap it in the rest of the way. I see what you're saying about your shaft. Does it seem like what looks like a bit of a collar will come out/off? I can't say for sure if it's supposed to be completely flat or be what yours looks like.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That collar thing as you said was what is in question. Don't know if its part of it or not. Don't want to try to remove it if it suppose to be there.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would say if the new bushing slide in to the splined part you're good but you might want to wait for someone who knows for sure to chime in. If it won't go in becaus the opening is too small then I say it shouldn't be there...but maybe wait for someone to make sure.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as I can figure today, the bushing is all the way out. The shaft was turned down in a lathe or something prior to me purchasing it for some reason best I can tell, and someone left a lip on it so when I hit it with a chisel to knock out what I thought was the bushing, it just closed the hole up. Luckily I used a chain saw file to round the hole back up. Very strange as to why someone would do this. I dunno

I measured the old piece that came out with dial calipers and the old one in my old axle and they measured the same, so...... with that I am assuming the bushing is out and the new one will go in. New bushing on the way from Ken's.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
As far as I can figure today, the bushing is all the way out. The shaft was turned down in a lathe or something prior to me purchasing it for some reason best I can tell, and someone left a lip on it so when I hit it with a chisel to knock out what I thought was the bushing, it just closed the hole up. Luckily I used a chain saw file to round the hole back up. Very strange as to why someone would do this. I dunno

I measured the old piece that came out with dial calipers and the old one in my old axle and they measured the same, so...... with that I am assuming the bushing is out and the new one will go in. New bushing on the way from Ken's.
Oh I didn't know you didn't have the new busing yet. I was wondering why you didn't just try sticking it in the hole. I dunno:lol:

It sounds like you're going to be good to go.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasn't sure it was all the way out! LOL. It was only when I got the dial calipers and measured it that I figured it was all out. It was pretty well chewed up on the end. Only had the width to go by. Here is a better pic.
Took everything out to get a better look and make working on it easier and also noticed that the primary clutch is cracked. So.......probably a good thing this happened. Don't want that granading!! More money!!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both, truth be told. Need to fix the speedo drive adapter/bushing on the 800 so speedo works. Then install new uncalibrated primary.That's the simple one.
Now Mr. T is sick. Still trying to dial in the Bear Cat secondary with gear change/clutch set up. Now I have other problems creeping in. :Bangin: Sled is studdering (possible stator) and can't make rpms. I think I have more than one thing going on at a time. Grrrrrrrrr. Running out of weather.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Both, truth be told. Need to fix the speedo drive adapter/bushing on the 800 so speedo works. Then install new uncalibrated primary.That's the simple one.
Now Mr. T is sick. Still trying to dial in the Bear Cat secondary with gear change/clutch set up. Now I have other problems creeping in. :Bangin: Sled is studdering (possible stator) and can't make rpms. I think I have more than one thing going on at a time. Grrrrrrrrr. Running out of weather.
Wow total bust!! Feast or famine as usual eh...

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the 800 is fixed and already had a test ride and all is well. The bushing was a mess and was all out as I thought. Put some red locktite on the new bushing and tapped it into place. Let it sit overnight and put it together and greased it up and went for a ride. All is well. Just thought I'd let anyone know that may be interested, that the bushing was all out and if I had it fixed or not. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blessing in disguise Jeff! Which sled ya working on?
And just think, it only cost me just over $360.00 with parts and shipping and all for that little bushing! And ya, it really was a Blessing in disguise !!:lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts