Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I just bought this zr600 efi in great shape with only 1500 miles on it. My brother owns an identical zr6000 efi with 3200 miles. I had them side by side in the shop yesterday and was going through everything on mine. I was checking everything over to make sure it was good to go and I couldn't help but notice the cables were mounted the opposite way. On my brothers his cables run toward the belt cover side and the short cable connect to the belt side plug. On mine the the cables run under the coolant line on the chain case side and the short cable is connected to the chain case side plug. Now I know my brothers is correct because his sled runs absolutely perfect. Mine on the other hand idles within a 200 rpm range, it likes to fluctuate a little. His is a consistent 1500, where it is suppose to be. I also have a low end bog when I accelerate. So simply the cable mount on the air box was either installed flipped up side down or someone has changed it, or perhaps it doesn't matter. I looked on bing images on 600 efi engines and seen them both ways, so that really confused me. I would cross them and put them on the opposite plug but I would hate to hurt something on such a nice sled. Will it run or misfire? That is my first issue, and could it have something to do with my fluctuating idle and low end bog, I mean its EFI it should be a consistent idle. And if it is wrong, because as far as I know the previous owner never took the air box out, could Arctic factory installed it wrong? Or perhaps it doesn't matter, I would think it would effect everything because of the timing, Any help greatly appreciate. Will provide pictures if needed, but I hope you understand the just of what I am saying.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
they can go any way 2 strokes fire both every time it dosent matter. look at the bottom of your ecu are u getting a trouble code and how are your powervalves have they been cleaned what year 600

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I forgot to post the year, It is a 99, no power vavles, I did check the reed valves. I will take a look at the ECU, they would be a code if something was wrong? I didn't know that about 2 strokes, So both plugs fire at the same time, even though the pistons are opposite of eachother?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The way the plugs fire isn't actually just because it's a 2-stroke. It's due to the way the ignition system is designed. On some sleds (not cats, and I don't remember for sure which) it does matter which plug wire goes to which cylinder. On modern Cats though, the coils are all hooked up together, so when one fires, they all fire. This is because there is only one timing sensor, so only one signal to be sent, every 180 degrees.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, I looked it up on google and found the term to be a "wasted spark ignition system". Interesting, you really do learn something new everyday. I guess only one more test to be sure is to see if both plugs spark at the same time. That's good news and clears up my confusion. Now I can flip my leads around so they don't have to be touching my coolant line.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys im new to this site but i got some questions about my 98 zr 500.. i took the motor out of er a few days ago and i just redid it like a month ago but my oil pump quit. which motors will all fit in that sled?? and i need a new seat but i want a boss seat will one that fits a king cat fit onto that sled?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
The way the ignition system works is very helpful at times for diagnosing. For example, if one cylinder is not firing, swapping the plug wires around will tell you if it is an ignition problem because after switching the wires it would then be the other cylinder not firing. If the problem doesn't switch then you have eliminated the ignition system as the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts