Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the side panels off of my new F6 SP the other day and was wondering about how to change the spark plugs.

I could barely see them, let alone get my hand and plug wrench in there to change one.

I stared at it for a few mins and said WTF?? This is a post for the forum.

So here I am. If anybody has any tips or tricks, it would be great.

Until then, God help me and God help us all if we have to change a plug.

Regards,

Northernstar

·
Registered
239 Posts
There are two bolts, one to the left, one to the right of the steering column. Take those bolts out. Next you have to lift on the back of the top assembly and push it forward. Undo the wire harness and the whole top comes off.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Yeah what he said, tells you in the owners manual how to do it

·
Registered
412 Posts
Careful with the wiring harness, that you don't break the freaking plastic locking clip that holds the two pieces together. I'd tell you exactly what it is or how it works, but mine was already broke somehow before I even looked at the damn thing.

And if you think changing spark plugs if fun... LMAO... you aint seen nothin' yet until tried to to a compression check. – Roy

·
Registered
260 Posts
LOL u guys are lucky!!! had a plug foul out on one of our jags already.( fireing it up and moving it around repeatedly) cant even see the F***in thing u have to take the hole gas tank off to get the air box off to get to the plugsbut we didn't go that far i just left the top off hoping that it would lean it out a bit and cox that plug back to life thank GOD it worked i'm dreding when i have to change a plug hopefully never. It mite just go up for sale if i do LOL. no they seem like a good sled so far with 60 mile on it. FREAKIN SNOW!!!!!

G

·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Joe @ Dec 28 2006, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
LOL u guys are lucky!!! had a plug foul out on one of our jags already.( fireing it up and moving it around repeatedly) cant even see the F***in thing u have to take the hole gas tank off to get the air box off to get to the plugsbut we didn't go that far i just left the top off hoping that it would lean it out a bit and cox that plug back to life thank GOD it worked i'm dreding when i have to change a plug hopefully never. It mite just go up for sale if i do LOL. no they seem like a good sled so far with 60 mile on it. FREAKIN SNOW!!!!![/b]
Look at what they have to do to change the plugs in the phazer and you will be saying to yourself that man I have it easy (even the one time in 25000 miles on the Jag). What a nightmare! I change plugs once a year on my sled then dont look at them. EFI is great!

·
Registered
113 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Joe @ Dec 28 2006, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
LOL u guys are lucky!!! had a plug foul out on one of our jags already.( fireing it up and moving it around repeatedly) cant even see the F***in thing u have to take the hole gas tank off to get the air box off to get to the plugsbut we didn't go that far i just left the top off hoping that it would lean it out a bit and cox that plug back to life thank GOD it worked i'm dreding when i have to change a plug hopefully never. It mite just go up for sale if i do LOL. no they seem like a good sled so far with 60 mile on it. FREAKIN SNOW!!!!![/b]
Look in the manual for the sled. It tells you to take it to the dealer to get the plugs changed. This is for the jag.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Dec 27 2006, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Careful with the wiring harness, that you don't break the freaking plastic locking clip that holds the two pieces together. I'd tell you exactly what it is or how it works, but mine was already broke somehow before I even looked at the damn thing.

And if you think changing spark plugs if fun... LMAO... you aint seen nothin' yet until tried to to a compression check. – Roy[/b]
LOL with you Roy!! :beer_cheers: My buddy and I were looking over his F6 a week or two ago, and installing his new windshield. He took off the top "pod" and when he went to unhook the wiring harness we both heard the SNAP on the clip that holds the harness together/plugged in. I think he found out it doesn't pry out, but in? Lesson learned. Also, be careful setting your pod down when unplugging the harness. Lesson learned #2 - it can put a nice scratch in your exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
412 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LabonteF8 @ Dec 28 2006, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Dec 27 2006, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And if you think changing spark plugs if fun... LMAO... you aint seen nothin' yet until tried to to a compression check. – Roy[/b]
LOL with you Roy!! :beer_cheers: My buddy and I were looking over his F6 a week or two ago, and installing his new windshield. He took off the top "pod" and when he went to unhook the wiring harness we both heard the SNAP on the clip that holds the harness together/plugged in. I think he found out it doesn't pry out, but in? Lesson learned. Also, be careful setting your pod down when unplugging the harness. Lesson learned #2 - it can put a nice scratch in your exhaust pipe.
[/b][/quote]
LOL... well, sorry to say it, but I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one with a broken wiring harness locking clip. Mine MAY have been accidentally broken when a couple buds were trying to figure out how my sled came apart. How did you "fix" your bud's? The only thing I could think of on mine, short of replacing the entire damn wiring harness on the broken side, was to wrap some "male" velcro on both connecting parts so they match up to each other when the harness is connected, and then wrapping around the entire thing with a band of "female" velcro onto the "male" velcro to hold the thing together. Two things – don't ask me which velcro is male or female; and after all is said and done, my "fix" just MIGHT be quicker and easier to take off the pod than with the original connector locking mechanism – however that was SUPPOSED to work!

Oh, and scratched exhaust pipe? LOL... too late, been there done that! – Roy

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Dec 29 2006, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
LOL... well, sorry to say it, but I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one with a broken wiring harness locking clip. Mine MAY have been accidentally broken when a couple buds were trying to figure out how my sled came apart. How did you "fix" your bud's? The only thing I could think of on mine, short of replacing the entire damn wiring harness on the broken side, was to wrap some "male" velcro on both connecting parts so they match up to each other when the harness is connected, and then wrapping around the entire thing with a band of "female" velcro onto the "male" velcro to hold the thing together. Two things – don't ask me which velcro is male or female; and after all is said and done, my "fix" just MIGHT be quicker and easier to take off the pod than with the original connector locking mechanism – however that was SUPPOSED to work!

Oh, and scratched exhaust pipe? LOL... too late, been there done that! – Roy[/b]
Actually, I'm not sure how he fixed it. But your velcro idea sure sounds like a good option. The night it happened we just kind of looked at each other with this "Can you believe this just happened!?" look. He didn't want to deal with it at that time, so I don't know what he did. It seems like the plug-in itself is pretty solid and the clip is just a safety thing. But I would have to think he came up with something to fix it ... I'll be sure to ask him and shoot you a PM, or add to this topic.

·
Registered
412 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LabonteF8 @ Dec 29 2006, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Dec 29 2006, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, and scratched exhaust pipe? LOL... too late, been there done that! – Roy[/b]
Actually, I'm not sure how he fixed it. But your velcro idea sure sounds like a good option. The night it happened we just kind of looked at each other with this "Can you believe this just happened!?" look. He didn't want to deal with it at that time, so I don't know what he did. It seems like the plug-in itself is pretty solid and the clip is just a safety thing. But I would have to think he came up with something to fix it ... I'll be sure to ask him and shoot you a PM, or add to this topic.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, better check with him, just to make sure he DID do something with it, as I would absolutely NOT rely on it holding without SOMETHING to keep it together. – Roy

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
:chug: Yup, busted mine weeks ago when I was installing my tether. I just ran a strip of Scotch Electrical Tape around it. :chug:

·
Registered
224 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (northernstar @ Dec 27 2006, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I had the side panels off of my new F6 SP the other day and was wondering about how to change the spark plugs.

I could barely see them, let alone get my hand and plug wrench in there to change one.

I stared at it for a few mins and said WTF?? This is a post for the forum.

So here I am. If anybody has any tips or tricks, it would be great.

Until then, God help me and God help us all if we have to change a plug.

Regards,

Northernstar[/b]
FYI
Doo's are the same

1 - 17 of 17 Posts