Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my plugs out of my sled, which I ran all last year. They are black and oily,, no carbon build up except at the base of that little finger that curves over top of the centre pin (how do you like that for being technical). The carbon build up is built up right at the base of the finger,, on the side and outside part. It was enough that I could get my finger nails under it to pop it off. I've just never seen carbon collect at that location before.

Note: before anyones says anything about too much oil,, I start my machine once a month through the summer to operating temp,, could this be causing it?? I don't let it idle too much, I keep the rev's up with some cracks of the throttle.

I have never taken my plugs out mid season to check what colour they but will be doing it this year,,,, I've heard it's quite entertaining of a task.
I would like to see a nice tan colour. With an EFI is it safe to say that if they are black (after a good long run) that I have too much oil going through?? Or can something else cause a black plug???

Thanks JDM

I miss that little round yellow guy reading a book and drinking a coffee (emicon??)

·
Registered
978 Posts
If they're black it's probably running too rich. With EFI that's hard to correct. Unless you're using a ton more oil than your buddies I wouldn't worry about that.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Black and fouled plugs is almost always too much fuel, not too much oil. Make sure you install new, properly gapped plugs and check them while out on the trail. They won't look like much for the first 30 miles, or so, but just continue to monitor them and your oil comsumption. Top up your oil and fuel at the start of every ride and keep track of how much you put in and how far you went.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts