Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first of my sled is a 93 580z ext. My sled has had a random problem of not wanting to spark but i would just move the sled around a bit or keep pulling it over and it would finally start and then it would run fine all day.
Now yesterday it just died on my while driving, which is weird, and now i cant get it to start at all. My tether and ignition are bypassed so that shouldnt be a problem, but i've been reading about this throttle safety switch, does my sled have one? I dont have any wires or sensors on my carbs. Also is there a way that i can jump something that will bypass all the wiring and see if i have spark?
Sorry to babble but this is ticking me off and any help would be awesome.
Andrew

·
Registered
780 Posts
Your owners manual should have a section on this. There is a small electrical plug that you put into the stator harness which will bypass everything but the engine electronics. Most people install the plug on the wrong part of the harness; should be installed near the recoil starter part of the harness. Read this part in the manual and you should be set to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, i dont have a owners manual, all i have is the CLYMER arctic cat shop manual. I'll have a look in there but it is pretty basic, like if you have no spark then check the coil, and thinks like that.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Actually, the owners manual is quite good at instructing the technique for bypassing the remainder of the electrical system. You may have the "bypass plug" (small wire plug with a string and label attached to it) in your trunk. The manual will tell you where to connect it. On a 1997 ZRT600, you disconnect the harness near the recoil starter and jumper the brown and yellow wires. This will start your sled provided the coils and stator are okay.

Check on eBay for a copy of your specific owners manual. The owners manual also contains important maintenance information like how to grease the jack-shaft bearings every time you go out (which may people forget to do - and end up broken down on the trail). It also shows you how to start your sled if the recoil starter cord breaks. A great little book to have handy on the trail.

Since this is an older sled, also pickup a copy of the service manual, the troubleshooting section is excellent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, im gonna look for one of those books now, im gonna do some troubleshooting tomorrow and see what i come up with, o but does my sled have one of those throttle safety switches?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i guess i figured out the problem, lol. I went out this morning and bypassed all the wiring by jumping the stator and i had spark, so i cleaned up the connection and put it back together and i had spark so i am assuming that it was a dirty connection right out of the stator. Anyways, after that it still wouldnt start because i wasn't getting fuel, so i narrowed it down to the fuel pump so i took it apart and there was ice in there so i cleaned everything up and put her back together and she was good to go. Now i just need to turn the idle up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts