Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it's worth a try going down to the Austin / Rochester / Owatonna area? I think there's been more snow down there the last couple snowfalls.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm not that far from Austin or any of the places you mentioned. The ditches are excellent if you can find one that already hasn't been torn to shreds by sleds. The trails aren't groomed but if you don't mind hard as rocks chisel plowed fields you can go on them. You have to keep in real slow in those fields. Not many sleds have been out on the trails so the trails (if you want to call them that) aren't totally torn up. My dad and I went to Hartland on the trail it took longer but it was still fun. The ditches have the best snow but be sure to watch out for rocks, posts, and the always present culvert monster that like to suck your skis in.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the report. Sounds a lot like the conditions here; chistle plowed fields, fence posts and all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
steele county trails ed nelson 507 446 0587 he is part of local trail club there.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
I live in Lake City, which is right on the river & about 15 miles south of Red Wing. A buddy of mine and I went out tonight to do some testing on his F7, and some more break-in time on my F8. The Frontenac State Park trails are shot, but the Frontenac Pond is awful fun :D All of the ditches around here are pretty well beaten, and down to the dirt again. Granted, there's a few places left to ride, but I wouldn't drive a couple hours for these conditions.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are a bunch of us going to Amboy, south of Mankato on 169, on Saturday. Meeting at Cenex at 10:00. Please check this out for more details if you're interested:

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...74&t=210004

Conditions won't be perfect but for those who really want to get out and get some riding in, and maybe have a beer and a burger with a bunch of snow-deprived sledders from Minnesota, this is going to be a real good time. Some say there was a ton of snow there last weekend, can't all be gone yet?

Sounds like there will be a good turnout, and it's close enough to home for many (Metro area) that they can be home at a reasonable hour. We're staying in Blue Earth, just for the heck of it.

I need to at least try to get the premix tank out of my new sled this year, somehow! Cat happy

Labonte, you really should bring that F so I can take it for a spin?

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JaySond @ Jan 24 2007, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Labonte, you really should bring that F so I can take it for a spin?[/b]
LOL ... sorry man, I've got "hubby duties" this weekend since I was up north last weekend, and plan to be up north again next weekend. Good luck with the ride - I hope you guys have a blast & have some good conditions.

Be safe

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LabonteF8 @ Jan 25 2007, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JaySond @ Jan 24 2007, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Labonte, you really should bring that F so I can take it for a spin?[/b]
LOL ... sorry man, I've got "hubby duties" this weekend since I was up north last weekend, and plan to be up north again next weekend. Good luck with the ride - I hope you guys have a blast & have some good conditions.

Be safe
[/b][/quote]

Hey thanks, maybe next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Spring Grove, the trails here are awesome. The ditches are rough but all and all great riding. The trails have been groomed and maintained for about a week or so. It would be well worth the trip down here for the riding. Your best bet is Spring Grove, Caledonia, Houston, Freeburg, Hokah areas. Alot of riders already. But with the temps warming up next week they may take a turn for the worst so check up when you can. Unless we get snow. Then the ride is on man... Ride hard but ride safe......

·
Registered
106 Posts
Trails are the best in the SE corner. Better than in 10-15 years. Chatfield to Rushford mint. Wabasha to Chatfield mint. I rode all day Saturday. Never ran into a bad part of the trail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ditto on the se corner. Saturday rode Fountain, Preston, Harmony. Canton, Mabel, back up to Lansboro and around to Fountain. Double wide groomed and flat as a freeway for the most part. The only thing would be avoiding Lansboro. Lots of blacktop to run through town. The farther south and east you stay, the better the snow will be. I have been trying to keep updates on Trail Conditions.com so check them out.

Catman

·
Registered
12 Posts
you are supposed to get considerable snow tonight into tomorrow aren't you? I hope so would love to go ride that area!!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
we have about 5 inches of snow in montgomery MN, about 36 miles north East of mankato, and about 37 miles south of eden prairie. If you know where new Prague is we are about 6 miles south and the ditches have nice drifts but are rock hard now after the -3 degree nights we have had, I was riding and plowing all weekend, Dont think I would make a trip for it though, its the first snow trails suck and no more powdery drifts. We are suppose to get more snow this week though, and its was snowing pretty good this morning and its still snowing now but not as much.

Im on accuweather.com right now and it looks like south of mankato and south of Madison there getting some ice, we are getting some more snow here, looks like the front is moving east almost north east, says we are suppose to get 1-3 inches today and an additional 1-3 inches tonight

·
Registered
5 Posts
^ in here on the ground in norwood mn and no i havent fired up the sleds yet why you may ask because I NEED A MIDSHIP BOGIE WHEEL!!!!!!!!!! I lost it on the last ride last season and totally spaced it until tonight when i checked the sleds over THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here's the deal.
Groommer's are heading out today in the SE corner of the state. (Chatfield, Eyota, Fountain, Lansboro, Rushford, Lewiston area)
The trails were not supposed to open until the 15th but the club is going to start early. Make sure to close gates if they haven't been open by the club. Probably 8-10 inches of quality snow on the ground.

Great start to the season.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HEP441 @ Dec 9 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here's the deal.
Groommer's are heading out today in the SE corner of the state. (Chatfield, Eyota, Fountain, Lansboro, Rushford, Lewiston area)
The trails were not supposed to open until the 15th but the club is going to start early. Make sure to close gates if they haven't been open by the club. Probably 8-10 inches of quality snow on the ground.

Great start to the season.[/b]
That is how it is here

·
Registered
241 Posts
Keep me posted after this next storm comes through today. I may have to drive to Rochester to "visit" my brother. Or at least crash at his place after riding.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Groomer are not out yet. Not sure what happenned there. Ditches look great. If ditch banging is your thing let'r rip.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts