Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 1997 zr 580 efi with 2400 miles and it just started making noise from what it sounds like the belt might be slipping in one of the clutches. I just put a new belt on it yesterday and it does the same thing, but it only does it when i start moving so up to about 10 mph, otherwise its totally fine and normal. any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not since i have owned it, it most likely wasn't rebuilt before either. what is the frisbee on the back?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
It is the one year wonder clutch that looks like a polaris driven. When they wear out the pucks inside they bind. This can cause the issue you are having or far worse can cause it to bind and break the motor mounts or cause the front clutch to come unglued and tear up the belly pan, belt guard and possibly the hood. You should look close at the front clutch and see if the weights have cut into the spider. I am sure your bushings are shot at that mileage. The back clutch I would replace with a roller or puck style arctic driven wioth a 51 or 53 degree ramp in it. If the front is worn I would replace it. Check your motor mounts and the torque limiter on the back left side of the motor. These break quite often.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i have a new clutch for a 98 600 efi but im not sure if i would be able to just swap them and have it fit on my 97?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
front or rear? You will need to change weights if it is the front. Or I clutched mine and it does a nice job in the trails and out of the hole.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You have to check it out, but most of those 9 posts o cats were 2000 mile max or the weights cut into the spider. At the least you will need a rebuild.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts